12W6V2 with 500/1 tuning

michael smith
Unregistered guest
hi everyone, i recently purchased a JL Audio 12" W6V2 and it is run by a JL Audio 500/1 . I have tuned and messed with the options on my Pioneer DEH-P7400 deck, but really havent messed with a lot of the options on the amp itself (mostly cause I have no clue what they mean), but anyway I recently played a song (Aaliyah - One in a million) and had my sub turned to about volume +3 (in a -6 to +6 spectrum) and my deck to about midway up and the sub started making some popping noises, my friend had helped me adjust it earlier cuz it was popping on some other songs so i think it must be the settings, can someone help tell me what to adjust my settings on the amp? i listen to mostly Hip Hop/ Rap and some RnB. Thanks everyone!

Anonymous

first of all, im sorry to hear that you listen to rap. i hope you can someday work on your problems. second, i think that the popping is a bad wiring problem. check your connections

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1262
could be a weak alternator.
the JL PDF manual for that sub on-line shows amp settings recommended for using a JL amp and sub together.
could be a wiring issue but generally you shouldn't need to set the bass on teh Pioneer above 0

michael smith
Unregistered guest
hmm, sorry, but i dont know what an alternator is?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
that's the thing in your car's engine that supplies all of the electrical current when teh engine is running.
It's also the thing that charges the car's battery when the engine is running.

michael smith
Unregistered guest
"the JL PDF manual for that sub on-line shows amp settings recommended for using a JL amp and sub together." hmm, i looked at the JL website but dont see it? and also, why would the alternator create a "popping" sound? do u think it's more of a settings deal? plus does the popping sound mean my sub is damaged? btw thanks for the help so far everyone and glasswolf

Gold Member

Post Number: 1272
if the alternator can't supply the current needed for the amplifier(s) the voltage rails will sag.
this will cause the amplifier to clip.
clipping causes distortion.
distortion damages speakers, and causes that popping you hear.
a high output alternator will fix that.
the speaker may still be fine if the problem is corrected soon enough.
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf
that's the manual, right where I said it was.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us