Ground location and gauge wire

Username: Guitarlover

Florida

Post Number: 3
I only have 200 watts RMS going to two 10" subs in my system (100 watts per speaker RMS). My headlights are dimming pretty bad, and the car is relatively new. It is a 2003 Dodge Neon. I took it to Circuit City and the guy said the ground wasn't in a good location, could this be the cause of the dimming? I originally went there to buy a capacitor. He also said that instead of 8 guage power and ground wire, I should get the 100 dollar 4 gauge wire. So, for a whopping $165, he will run the new 4 gauge power and ground wire and properly ground the ground wire. Then, if that doesn't fix the dimming, for another $120, he will install a capacitor. I'm thinking for 200 watts RMS total (100 each sub) this is a lot of money and problems. Any ideas? Is this guy just trying to get my money??

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 956
wello the cap wont help the dimming problem so dont get that. you can get 4 gauge by the foot at a local car audio shop, or you can go to www.knukoncepts.com and get a very nice kit for half that. did you do the install yourself? yes hes trying to get your money....next time you go in, ask him the capital of taiwan....and then yell bangkok...and punch him in the balls...
it might be the ground wire but that can be fixed by you, just find the wire and then look for another spot to put it, you may find a bolt somewhere under your backseat and then just hook it up there. your car might have a very weak electrical system though......

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1657
Jennifer, what is the brand of the amp and the subs? What is the fuse size on the amp?
Who installed the amp and the subs? What is the gain/level set at on the amp? Does the amp have bass boost/remote control?
The ground wire should be no longer than 18", and it should have solid contact with the car's chassis.
At what volume level does your lights dim badly? If it's near the max, then it's cause the amp is drawing lot of current.
What kind of music do you listen to? Does the songs contain long bass notes?
A capacitor can solve the lights dimming problem as long as the amp doesn't drain the charge contained in there completely.
8 gauge wire is GOOD enough for 200w amp. 4 gauge wire will not do anything for your light dimming problem. The guy/girl is just trying to rob you. Don't waste your money, unless you're planning to purchase a stronger amp in the future.

Check your ground wire first, then invest on a 1F capacitor. They usually cost around $50. Don't buy one of those $150-$200 dollar ones. Waste of money.
Charge the capacitor properly before connecting to the amp. Not very hard to do.
If you can't afford a HO alternator, then you might want to have a look at Orion's MBR 70. It's like an isolator but you don't have to cut into your wiring harness.
Anyways, use common sense. You seem to have that already, judging by your post.

Bronze Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 90
She needs a cap or an HO alternator for a 200 watt amp? That car must have the smallest alternator ever built!

Isaac is right!! Don't waste your money on 4ga wire for that amp...and don't go to circuit city for any install issues (no offense but sounds to me like the mechanic taking advantage of the female scenario)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us