Alternator Whine only when RCAs are plugged in...

Username: Digi0123

Post Number: 1
So I've got the setup as follows:

All wiring is KnuKonceptz and are shielded.

1/0 gauge alternator power to the battery
1/0 gauge chassis ground to the battery
1/0 gauge power to the power block into the back (down driver console)
1/0 ground to a block in the back (down driver console)
4ga power and ground from the each block to the amp (one to power and one to ground)
14ga remote wire from the deck to the amp (t-tapped) runs with the RCA cables
11ga speaker wire from the amp to the x-overs (in hatch)
11ga speaker wire to the woofers (up the door sills for each door)
14ga speaker wire to the tweeters (up the door sills for each door)
One David Navone 4 channel LOC from the stock deck (mounted behind the stock deck, it just sits there) and the two sets of RCA cables (down passenger console) from the LOC head to the amp in the hatch.

I have an alternator whine matching the RPMs. When I pull the RCA cables one set at a time the whine lessens but is still heard from the connected speaker, doesn't matter which one, it's still there.

I unplug the RCA cables all together and the noise goes away. So I'm guessing it's not a grounding thing as the whine should still be there if it was a grounding problem, right?

Navone is suggesting I make a "mute" and try it in the RCA inputs of the amp to rule out the RCA cables. I can't see both sets of cables being a problem. next they are suggesting moving the LOC closer to the amp, but it's butt-end connected behind the deck and that might be a problem to reconnect....

I have thr ground heading from the amp to the distribution block and the block goes to the negative on the battery. I'm hearing I need to shorten the amp ground and mount it to the body, but how would that fix the problem when the RCAs are unplugged the sound goes away, wouldn't it stay?

Anyone who can help?

Updated: I know the wiring is too much, the 1/0 is overkill, I can't do much about it now, but I'm hearing the 1/0 gauge has a huge field around 18" and would probably cause issues through the RCA cables....I'm still open to suggestions

Username: Velk4425

Post Number: 3
My friend had a problem like that. He had some crappy 8" subwoofers that he thought sounded nice (he's still learning about quality car audio) He recently got a new subwoofer/box and the problem went away.

I'd say it has to do with your subwoofers, although it could be your other speakers too. Check them. It has to do with a filter that speakers have, but these didnt...I forgot where I read it.

You can never have overkill when it comes to power wire gauges.

Username: Velk4425

Post Number: 4
My friend had a problem like that. He had some crappy 8" subwoofers that he thought sounded nice (he's still learning about quality car audio) He recently got a new subwoofer/box and the problem went away.

I'd say it has to do with your subwoofers, although it could be your other speakers too. Check them. It has to do with a filter that speakers have, but these didnt...I forgot where I read it.

You can never have overkill when it comes to power wire gauges.

Bronze Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 81
Are the RC cables run with the hot wires? They should be ran on the other side of the car. Your ground should be no more than 18 inches long if you can help it. You might try some more RC cables. Also make sure your head unit is grounded good.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1636
What you're hearing is called "ground loop". Search on google what that means. Basically it'll happen when you have many points/ways to the ground. Make sure your ground wire is 18" or shorter. Run all your RCA cables/speaker wires away from power cables.
Are your RCA cables shielded and directional? If not, they tend to pick up noise.
Some amps like Zapco/Xtant/US Amps etc come with features that deal with ground loops problems. They help minimize alternator/engine noise pickup.

Username: Digi0123

Post Number: 2
I was thinking the ground is the problem. It's way too long for what needs to be there...and yep the RCA's are close to that power wire. I have enough slack to move them to the passenger side door. That is the plan...anything else I should try?

PS,these are just the front stage..there's really no room in the back seat for people so I'm not going to fill. The amp has an AUX port to connect another amp, so I'll probably put a sub in down the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us