Ported or sealed

Bronze Member
Username: Mrrogers

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 18
ok i have a custom built box its one big square box. the volume of the box is 1.9 cubic feet and i have 2 12's in it and the polarities are reversed so they hit at different times and it is pretty frickin loud. but i wondered if it would be better to put a port in it and if so wat could i use for a port tube.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 432
how do you reverse the polarities?

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 975
Switch the positive and the negative. Switching the polarity wouldn't make the bass hit at different times though. I really don't know what Michael is talking about.

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 19
you hook one of the subs up so that the positive wire goest to the positive terminals on both the sub and amp and on the other the negitives go on the positives and the positives go on the negitives. my box is not divided i think when you do what i do it makes it louder

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 20
when one is firing the other is recoiling. you should try it.

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 21
o wait i know y you dont understand it because my amp is bridged

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3355
Reversing polarity between subs doesn't contribute to SPL, it hurts it. If you reverse polarity, you are causing a 180 degree phase shift, in which the subs are producing the same wave, but completely out of phase and they cancel each other out. The phase reversal causes a bit of time delay, sometimes up to 3ms depending on the driver. If you reversed polarity and they hit harder now, then they were probably out of phase to begin with.

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 22
all i know is it sounds better than just having one

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 977
That's exaclty what I was thinking. Jonathan, besides the bit of time delay, reversing doesn't change the bass produced does it? I thought reversing polarity just changed the direction the sub fires.

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 23
but wen i have the polarities the same it doesnt make any noise anyway should i port it or not

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 24
or would it be better to turn one around so the basket and magner is facing outwards and the sub is firing into the box

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3357
Subs will fire both ways anyway, they move in both directions. Reversing simply makes the speaker move in the other direction first. People usually reverse phase with tweeters and midranges (NOT midbasses) for their front stage, sometimes it helps imaging depending on driver location. In 3 way sets sometimes you can reverse a single speaker (especially a midrange on a 3-way set) and get good results and improved imaging. As far as subwoofer phase, it doesn't make as big of a difference as long as the subs themselves are in phase.

"but wen i have the polarities the same it doesnt make any noise anyway should i port it or not"
That's cancellation. Maybe a wire is marked wrong or something. Stick to whatever is loudest. As far as inverting subs, it makes no difference in SPL output or SQ, people do it because it looks cool (sometimes). It does add a little net volume to an enclosure, but not so much that it will make a big noticeable difference. As far as ported boxes, if you like them, you'll see more SPL. It's not a good idea to just add a port to a sealed box, and you won't get good results. Best option is a custom built ported box. For SPL you have to think big and you simply can't crap out or go an easy route with a ported box if you want good results. Most 12" subs work best with 2 cu ft NET each, remember net means that's before the port volume and subwoofer displacement, so the box will actually be larger. Figure 2.5 per sub, for 2 12" subs it'd be a 5 cu ft box, much larger than your existing one.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 983
Well, yeah I know subs fire both ways. That's what I meant, does it fire in the other direction first. Thanks for the answer though.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 984
One question, when I asked about inverting my sub on this forum, you guys told me to make sure to reverse the polarity, (I even think you might have told me that), and I did it and it sounds fine, I just wondered why you have to reverse polarity. I think I have an idea but I wanted an explanation. When I reverse the polarity back to normal, with the sub still inverted, I can't really hear any difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 19
most people don't hear reversed polarity,but we're talkin' about two subs being in the same box,so there is no way it could play louder,if polarities are switched(one normal,second reversed).Adding a port requiers some experience,and definitely different box.there is even chance your sub is not made for ported enclosure(check Thielle-Small parameters)

Bronze Member

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 25
another question i have a pretty good idea what they mean but i am not positive what spl and sq and rms mean.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 990
Probably the most commonly asked questions, lol.

Spl: Sound pressure level (how loud the sub will sound)

Sq: Sound quality (how nice and accurate the sub will sound)

Rms: recommended contiunous power handeling (Amps and subs will have Max and Rms power ratings, Max being the peak watts it can take/give, but for only very short periods of time. Rms being continuous power)

Bronze Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Post Number: 21
SPL - sound pressure level (measured in decibels)
SQ - sound quality (subjective, how pretty it sounds)
RMS - The maximum amount of electrical energy a driver can dissipate before distortion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us