Why is my sub clipping?

Blister64
Unregistered guest
I have a JL10W3 sub in a ported box. I have a pioneer 240w amp runnin it. When my truck is running, the sub starts clipping when i turn on a medium volume. I've tried doing various things with my head unit and my amp; from turning my amp gain to about 1/5 power to having it up all the way. The sub still clips at about the same db level. Now when my truck is off and the key is turned back so i can listen to the radio, it will go almost twice as loud as it does with the truck on. It doesn't clip at all at any volume level or at any level that the amp gain is at. Can someone please help me out? Is my amp not getting enough power when the truck is on? Do i need a capasitor? I have a brand new battery and a fairly new alternator so I'm not sure whats wrong. Does anyone else?

Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 10
clipping you usually can't hear, its an electrical term you need an oscilloscope or simular device to detect. so what do you mean by clipping?

Blister64
Unregistered guest
When ever i turn my stereo up slightly loud, the sub will start popping when a hard bass hit happens or pops a lot when a suspended bass note hits.

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 15
popping noise literally or is it like the sub topping out.

Username: Gakel05

Florida Usa

Post Number: 7
it sound as if the sub is blown. try another sub, even if it is crappy one to see if you have the same problem

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 361
actually one of my subs used to do that too...im pretty sure thats when it "bottoms out"...the sub is going beyond the spider or wat not will allow it...just turn you bass down...VERY LITTLE..and that will fix it..it did mine

Blister64
Unregistered guest
The sub doesn't bottom out and i know its not blown. It will sound AWESOME with the truck off and the key turned back. It will go twice as loud as it does with the truck running. When the truck is running, at about 1/2 to 3/4 the volume on the same songs, it pops. *Brandon- popping noise literally or is it like the sub topping out.* It literally pops. theres no way it is bottoming out because it will move twice as far with the truck off than it does with the truck on. I think it might have something to to with the power supply to the amp, not enough when the truck is running or something like that.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 953
That really makes no sense, because whether the truck is running at idle, or whether it's off your still getting a 12 volt power supply. It may be a little bit higher, but not much at idle. The only diff. between playing with the car on vs. running at idle are:

1. Whether there are other electrical things running while the car is on vs. off, which still will not change the voltage
2. You will be able to listen to the system for much much longer of course with the car running, becaus the battery is being charged. Only diff. with it off is that after a while your gonna drain your battery

Once you increase rpm's, you then increase voltage output.

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 20
maby interfearance in your rca's or power wires? that could increase (get louder) when the truck is running

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 522
I thnik I know what you're talking about. I had a cheap stereo a few years back and the sub would like make a loud crakle for a second or two and be done and it was definatly not botteming out. I never did figure out why it did that. I went out and got a new amp and different subs. Never had the problem since.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us