Ported power handling

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 20
Is it true that the power handle of a sub in a correctly built ported box (above the port tuning frequency) will handle more power than a sealed enclosure above these same frequencies for the same sub (lets just say 22hz tunning frequency for giggles)???

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 833
Power handeling for subs is lower in ported enclosures. Power handeling is higher in sealed boxes.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3340
Actually, both thermal and mechanical power handling is higher with a ported box. The reason ported is recommended when using lower power is simply because it is more efficient. At any point above tuning, a ported box will have more cone control than a sealed box, equalling less excursion and also having less distortion than a sealed box. The tuned frequency is the point of highest mechanical power handling, and excursion is kept to a minimum even though SPL rises at that frequency. That's the reason SPL competitors apply 10,000+ watts to a sub at tuning and get tons of SPL, with a sealed box and that much power you'd blow the cones straight out of the subs. Thermal power handling is higher with a ported box, too, since air is allowed to move in and out of the box, it helps keep the voice coil cooler.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 22
thanks jonathan, I heard somthing along those lines before and it sounded like a good idea to me. thanks for clearing it up

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 844
Jeese I was off. Thanks Jon. I always thought power handeling was higher with sealed. I guess nobody explained it to me. Sorry for the crappy answer Brian.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 305
ok jon...what the heck...you totally lost it...any chance you could explain that in like monkey retard terms lol...also can u go to the thread that i have about hrtz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us