Sub keeps making a rattling noise HELP

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 44
I have two eclipse 12's in a custom ported box and i keep blowing one of them at least i think. I sent one of them in because it kept making this rattling noise i mean the thing hits hard just like the other one but it makes this rattling noise like a wire or sumthing is smacking the back of it. I had them send me a brand new one and i got it all hooked up now all sounding great and its starting to make that rattling noise again, could it be the box, am i blowing the sub or what. It still beats but when i open my trunk it sounds like sh*t with that one sub rattling. Anyone that would know what this is?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1108
dont open your trunck to show your system off!

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 850
im not sure it might be a wire hitting the sub or the box. take your sub out and somehow fasten all wires to where they are secure and wont make any sound and then see if it still makes the same noise

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Yea i dunno i shoulda waited and got the titanium's i just need that Loud bass, well maybe ill have these for sale here or a box and one eclipse. How much are those RE's i would like to get two Xx.x's i just need something i can beat loud as hell without having to worry.

Bronze Member
Username: Treeguy2oo4

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 16
try moveing the tow subs around. see what happpens? if it still dos it on that side, its youre box! not the sub, plus how big is this box? what type is it?
Hunter is wright fasten the wires down is all-ways good.

i think its the box, you said you got a knew sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Treeguy2oo4

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 17
try moveing the tow subs around. see what happpens? if it still dos it on that side, its youre box! not the sub, plus how big is this box? what type is it?
Hunter is wright fasten the wires down is all-ways good.

i think its the box, you said you got a knew sub.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 430
try moving the two subs around and then see what happens. If it still rattles on that side its your box, not the sub. How big is the box? What type is the box.

Hunter is right fasten the wires down - that is always a good thing to do

I personally think its the box, you did say you got a new sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
I got the box custom built tuned to the right frequency and its in a 1.5 Cuft ported box check it out if you want http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/772119 I dunno i think my amp is just too powerful for those subs because i got the Hifonics Brutus BX1500D its like 1500x1 @ 1 ohm, 1000x1 @ 2 ohms, and 500x1 @ 4 ohms. Those eclipse subs are Dual 2 ohm voice coils that handle 450watts rms.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 777
Oh jeese, it's you. Lol, I forgot who had those 2 eclipse's. What kind of a rattle is it? Like a loud metallic rattle or a slap?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1133
are you running them at 2ohms? I dont think that amp is too powerful it is prob delivering about 450/sub(overrated) Is your gain set more than half way up? if so you could be clipping the Hell out of the subs and destroying them that way. do what Eric said switch the two and see if the sound switches sides. if it does turn your gain down if it doesnt get into your box and see whats going on with it.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 788
Try what James said, and if all else fails take the subs out and check them over. You can even try running them free air very carefully for onle a few seconds, with the volume and gains down, just so you can see if you can find the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Yea they are wired @ 2 ohms and the gain is only at a quarter, Im thinking could my wiring be messing it up because i got 12 gauge from my amp to the back of the box and 10 gauge wire going to the terminals inside the box, could that mess up anything?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1189
no that is fine. does it sound like a slapping wood sound?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 858
The only thing I could think of is bad motor noise, or the sub reaching full excursion and slapping.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1193
yeah I dont know. I would try the switch method and then inspect your box and look for cracks or bad seals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Yea it sounds like a slapping wood sound exactly its weird. I think i messed it up were it goes beyond its excursion making it smack back. too bad but this may be a flaw with these subs, they are brand new.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1204
yeah man that sucks. I wold go back where you got it and demand a TI :-)

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1205
the reson I asked if it sounded like slapping wood is bacause that is a good indacation that it is a box problem flexing under pressure. Thats what I would look into.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
hahaha hell yea thats what im sayin, oh yea and do you know if JL W6v2-D4's would be good in place of those eclipses with the amp. I have heard those things and they're loud but can they take a beating for a while. I guess the new eclipses aluminums are a little fragile compaired to the old models

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Oh yea and i ran the thing free air the other day on low and it still had the rattling weird noise, so i dont think its the box

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1207
those subs can take a serious beating. Thats my favorite thing about JL subs is they will go and go and go and go at high levels. There is only one problem two of those subs wont work well with that amp. either you are going to under power them by alot or overpower them by alot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us