Jl vs adire

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 106
jl 12w6v2 vs adire shiva....any thoughts? sq, spl.
jl:Xmax16.5mm
Fs25hz
600w rms?
adire:Xmax15.9mm
Fs21hz
650w rms

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 118
Chas the Adire Shiva has a 2" Voice Coil where as the JLw6V2 has a 2.75" Voice Coil Xmax is about the same for both but the JLW6v2 can displace more air cuz of the larger Diameter Voice Coil and the JL's Sound Quality is better.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1212
well, the surface area of the cone itself would determine how much air it can move, really...
but yeah I'd still take the JL subs myself.

at least unless you want to move up to the Adire Brahmas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1213
by the way, also note the price difference for teh Shiva and W6v2
The Shivas are only ~$120 each. That's more on par with the 12W0 in cost.
Now if ya compare a 12W0 and a Shiva, the Shiva wins hands down.

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
glass,

in your opinion, is there any particular reason why adire brahmas are priced(retail) so relatively low, in the $300-400 range? particularly when taking into account their notable SPL and SQ performance? how much does the cost => quality active theory apply to these subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Vqman

Post Number: 15
I listen to Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chaines, Stone Temple Pilots, Audioslave, Pearl Jam, Janes Addiction...(you get the idea)

and the JL's didn't sound right for me...

I have never heard the adire speakers...

but really, you must consider the type of music. I think the JL's would have sounded better if I was listening to Rap or something...

They didn't seem as tight as the Diamonds...

(I had never even heard of Diamonds until last week...and I bought a 10")

but if you are listening to RAP/RB, I think they JL's are GREAT!

we know their amps kick butt too.

-vq

Gold Member

Post Number: 1220
a lot of how a sub sounds will depend on a number of factors beyond the music itself, too.
vehicle, enclosure, power, any equalization, etc.

The Adires aren't exactly what I'd call "cheap" at $300+ each, but they aren't as much as some subs.
The Brahmas are priced to be attractive to consumers since their name isn't as widely recognized as names like Alpine or even JL Audio.
You can't over-charge for a product nobody knows, and expect to make enough money to stay in business. That's another thing to keep in mind.

Bronze Member
Username: Vqman

Post Number: 20
i'm not saying the type of music you listen to is the end all, but I think it one factor many overlook.

You don't know if you're going to be happy with a sub until you play your favorite song with it, and it sounds perfect...of course the box type, power, etc...will make a difference. But if you have two subs, in the same room...and you can tell that one sounds better to you with your type of music...its probably going to sound better to you with your type of music in your car.

know what I mean?

-vq

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
actually, i read adire's marketing sales pitch on their website of offering their product at a reasonable price.. i have an Econ degree, so i figured they're just offering their product at X price, considerably lower than their ideal, to increase demand and sales.. name brand recognition is an invaluable intangible..

i was just wondering if you had dealed with any of their brahma subs and could tell me how their build quality, and SQ, would stack up against, say, a DD 9512e?

VQ, sorry, don't mean to jack your thread.. you're right, the music you listen to and the sub you use makes a difference, especially using the SAME box in the SAME car, with the SAME equalization, etc.. it's good you're happy with your sub.. that's all that matters..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1232
the Adire Brahmas are fantastic subs, and they take a hellishly large amount of power. They sound good, and get very loud.
They are worth hearing at least. If you have the room and the power for them, they won't let ya down.
DD is the same way. great subs.

Unregistered guest
Glass,
Would the JBL 600:1 be powerful enough to drive the Brahma?
Do you think I need a new alternator for this amplifier?
In general at what kind of power need that you start thinking about a new alternator/battery?
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1245
the 600.1 will work, but that's a better match to a Shiva. The Brahma takes more power than that.
When your lights dim, and voltage rails sag, that's when you need a bigger alternator.
That's really the only way to tell for sure.

Username: Jigga57

Post Number: 7
what would be a good price for one of those Brahama subs in 12 inches? What would be a good price for a JL W6 or a DD, also as a 12.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1255
Look around on-line and at local shops for pricing.
I don't recall the prices for all 3 off hand. sorry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Wow local shop is asking $400 for jl 12w6v2. i can get a 12" brahma for that. btw holy crap-a-roonie the peak pwr for a brahma is 4800w....

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 123
Yea but with 4800 watts its just a waste of power and a waste of money I wouldnt go over 2000 watts in my car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
when it says that the sub reaches its mechanical limits at much less pwr than the peak rms, is mechanical limits mean the same as achieving full Xmax displacement?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1273
yes.
the power handling is a thermal measurement before the voice coils melt.
the mechanical limits are the Xmax, and peak SPL/excursion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us