Too Small an Amp

Username: Robboss44

Post Number: 1
I'm sure this has been answered before but I cannot find it. What are the consequences to your front and rear speakers if the amp you are using for your sub is too small. Because I think I might have blown a couple of speakers because my amp to my sub is too small. Is this possible?

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 624
Well, the only way you can kinda "blow" a speaker from underpowering it is crom clipping. Were they component speakers or subwoofers. If their non-subwoofers, than that could be the case, because I think that when an amp sends a square signal (clipped), smaller speakers such as tweeters go first.

Post Number: 2
I have my MTX Thunder 250x (100W RMS bridged at 4 ohms - Which I now believe is wayyyyyyy to small) powering two 10" MTX Road Thunder Subs (Have no Idea on the specs because I bought them loaded in a road thunder bandpass box, so I THINK they are roud thunder subs all they have on them is simply MTX in red). And the rest of the car is the Mitsubishi factory Infinity sound system. I blew the factory center channel and the factory front door speaker. Thanks by the way for the response.

Post Number: 3
The component speakers are fine by the way and so are the rest of the speakers besides those that blew. I have now disconnected my amp just in case this may be the reason for the blown speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us