Help with System

Bronze Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 17
I am looking to get a sub or some subs for my 1993 Ford Ranger extended cab. I am looking to spend $800 for subs, amp, box, and any wiring. I am a newbie and I have done a lot of research but I can't decide what to get. I would like a system the has pretty good spl as well as sq. I was looking toward just getting one sub so I could still have a passenger in the back or room for stuff. What subs and amps would you guys suggest for me. Thank you for your time.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 732
I got something for you. I have a JL audio 12w6v2 in a sealed box used very lightly for about 2 months with only 300 watts from a very nice amp for $300 and how about this. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-Mono-Subwoofer-Amplifier-MXA4001-/sem/rpsm/oi d/90876/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

that leaves $200 left for wires,install,whatever else you might need. In that truck that speaker will be pretty nice.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 18
I was thinking of getting either 1 or 2 Eclipse SW7104DVC. What would be a good amp be for those subs.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 19
I decided on getting 1 Eclipse SW7124DVC-T4 that can handle 450 rms. What amp would you suggest that I run the Eclipse off of. Also I would put it in a ported box and get the box tuned right.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 593
Actually I am getting ready to order that exact sub. I am planning on getting an MTX 421D to run it. The MTX should be a little underrated, and the sub will be in a ported box so I won't need quite as much power.

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 39
Great choices Joe and Alan i got 2 of the SW7124DVC-T2's and they are very loud for their pricetag, tell me how they sound I also went ported.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 596
Yeah. I am gonna drop mine in a 2.1 cf ported box, tuned to about 34 hz I do believe. Jon recommended 1.5 - 2 cf or something around there and for higher spl to tune it in the mid 30's. So how loud is loud?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 787
I would like to check out an eclipse alum 12 maybe in my wife's car and see how it sounds.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3256
They're great SQ subs. Joe, if you want everyday SQ/SPL, 2.25 cu ft net tuned to around 32-33 hz will offer great all around sound quality, impact, and depth. That box you plan on will work very well. If you want SPL (and are willing to compromise SQ), you can tune around 40-45 hz. Use as large a port area as possible and try your best to smooth all the edges of the ports.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 598
Actually, I just checked my box again, and it is 2.25 c.f., no joke, I measured it and checked the place I bought it. I'm really excited to try the Eclipse in it now. Thanks for your input Jonathan.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 21
For my box would it be easier to just build it myself or by a ported box already made. Which one would be cheaper. I am a newbie to this so I want to get everything right. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us