Amp has to be gitting close to overheating!

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 473
I posted something close to this topic a few weeks a go.
I have the Rockford P8002 behind the backseat of an extended cab chevy 1500.
I was listening to it for about 45 minutes at half, to a little abuv half way up. I reached back to check on how hot the amp was and I could hardly tutch it!
Heer in Texas it was about 80 degree's F and I can't imagine what my amp is going to do when it is 100 degree's and up!
My amp is running at stable ohm's, what else could be the problum, or should I give the place where I had it installed at take a look and see what they can do?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 295
I know from experience Rockford tend to build up alot of heat. I usually go to a computer shop or radio shack and get 2 small computer fans, crazy glue them to the inside lid of the amp around the power coil, and wire them to the ground and remote line wire. That cools them down for me.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 477
I've heard Rockford's run hot, but I wouldn't think a fan would keep it cool enough.
A computer fan? That's something you don't see everyday!:-)

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 296
Lol I know its funny but its effective

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 347
Taylor,

I have seen Rock amps get so hot you wouldnt wanna touch them. A buddy of mine used to have a 300s...it was unreal how hot that lil amp would get. My bp1200.1 doesnt come anywhere close to putting out the heat that lil 300s did. (come to think of it, my bp1200.1 never get hot at all)

Try the fan idea, it should help alot.

As hot as those things get...i wonder how efficient they are?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 493
Ya, it's never shut off on me, but I don't like an amp that git's so hot you can't stand to tutch it! Hopefully it doesn't git hot enough to catch the seat or something on fire!:-) That would suck! Other than that I love my amp! Just gitting that hot was making me nervice.

Silver Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 104
sometimes when I wake up and my electric skillet doesnt work I turn on my system and make some breakfast on mine, no but seriously I have warmed up pop tarts on em

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 789
I used to have a punch 100IX a few years back and it was amazing how hot that amp would get. Mine never shut off either but I always wondered about it. I loved the amp if never skipped a beat and would buy another one today. So I guess its a fosgate thing.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 504
Well, as long as it doesn't overheat and shut off, I guess I don't care!:-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1559
Taylor if your amp is getting that hot at 80 degrees, you will have some problem at 100+ degrees. What ohms are you running the amp at?
What is the gain/level set at?
If I were you, I'd have a portable fire extinguisher near by just in case. You might also want to find out what the operating temperature is for your amp. Some manufacturers will tell you how hot the amp will get. If yours exceeds that, then you know you have a problem.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 513
The total ohm's is 4 ohm's.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 514
The amp has a remote gain nob, but I don't know if that over rides the other stuff. As fare as the normal timpature my amp is supposed run, I don't know where to find that.
Are you really serious when you said to keep a fire extinguisher close?
I was just thinking of giving the people who installed it a call and see what they think, or can do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1562
Yes I was being serious. If you're saying your amp gets that hot at 80 degrees, then at 100+ it will get hotter. Sometimes, that's enough to cause a damage inside the amp. And since there are part that can explode or burn out, it's never a bad idea to be safe. I've heard Sony amps burning. Those suckers start off semi hot with no load. So you can see what'll happen if someone pushed it to the limit.
If your amp at 4ohm load is causing that much heat, I'd have the amp checked out, and if it's still in warranty, you might want to put in a complain now. Unless your subs are not really 4ohms, no amp should get that hot with mid volume.
Before you go for a checkup, make sure your gain/level is set correctly, and with a DMM, measure your subs to see if it's 4ohms.
Remember, gain/level is used to match your HU's preout voltage.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 524
I have the settings on the hu turned up, and the remote gain turned all the way off because of that reason.
I'm really lazy, so do you think I should just call the shop and them deal with it.
As far as the worenty, the website I bought it from doesn't carry a worenty on it. I bought it at www.sonicelectronix.com
Do you think Rockford will still take care of it.
I will check with the shop first, who know's, they might take care of everything. I don't have they tools to check the true ohms of my sub's either.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1568
I doubt that RF will do anything unless it's broken. If you get really friendly with one of their tech, they might give you some answers.
If an amp gets as hot as a stove, it's not a good sign.
Last time I made an amp that hot, it was due to low ohms. The only way I solved the problem was by attaching custom made cpu fan into it. It went stove hot, to hot enough to burn in 15 mins.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1569
One more thing, from my experience with that model, the amp will run hot, but not like yours. You should be able to touch it without getting burnt.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 525
On monday, I think I'll give Rockford a call and see what they say. It couldn't hurt.
Then I'll go from there.
Thank's for the help.
Be for I call Rockford, I'll check the gain's on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us