How do you tune a box

Bronze Member
Username: Dobaryder

Cocoa, Florida U.s.

Post Number: 14
if i have six seperate sealed chambers and some are smaller than the other will this alter sq
or spl also how does baffling material affect
bass and if i have kinda small chambers should
i put anything in the enclousures.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 579
If your title has anything to do with your post you cannot tune sealed boxes. Yes, different sized enclosures will effect the sound of the sub. If your enclousure is just a little bit too small, you can add Polyfill, the general rule of thumb is 1 lb per 1 cubic foot I think.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1078
to answer your question reguarding all of the subs being in a sealed enclousre of various size boxes and the same subs yes they will sound different generally the smalletr the box the less sq and more spl sound you will get but to balance the smaller boxes to close to the same size internal volume you could add polyfill 1 pound equals a 10 percent boost in total internal box volume you could do up to 30 percent equaling three pounds but two pounds would be the more desirable limit .....ps....half pound would be about 5% boost

Gold Member

Post Number: 1079
and yes a sealed box actually has a tune

thumpinWRANGLER
Unregistered guest
sean is dumb. bigger the box= louder the SPL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
whatever unregistered guest......that says it all

Gold Member

Post Number: 1081
even if you were right your attitude doesnt show respect

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 590
Sean, now that you mention it I thought I remembered somebody saying something about a sealed box actually having a tune. Wondered if you could explain it to me.

Anonymous

a sealed box is tuned to the lowest freq of the sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 1084
what i mean by a sealed box has a tune is depending on the size of the sealed box and the theil parememters of the woofer it will have an optimum frequency like say 56 hz i think it was for the kicker 12 i ran of my cousins one time but a sealed can play lower than that even down toward the subs lowest frequency but only to a point before sound quality becomes an issue

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 638
So diff. sized sealed boxes can make a difference in frequency range, to a point? I don't meen what it will play, but which frequencies will be louder.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 729
i actually think that it was sean that you heard that sealed can be tuned. it may hjave been in just bored part duex. very long thread, of sean showing me that he is very knowledgable in car audio.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 642
Yeah. I think that was it actually.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3283
"sean is dumb. bigger the box= louder the SPL"

Wrong. That applies generally for ported boxes, but in sealed enclosures smaller equals louder. It's a combination of a box that has a higher resonant frequency (which is closer to that of the car, making higher SPL) and the acoustic "spring" of the sealed enclosure is tighter, aiding SPL. A larger sealed box allows more excursion, but not more SPL. A smaller sealed box requires more power for a given excursion, but will get louder than a large sealed box. That's also the reason that infinite baffle installs aren't as loud as sealed enclosures, infinite baffle performs as a very large sealed box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1086
actually the answer is both...what it can play cleanly and what will be louder

Bronze Member
Username: Dobaryder

Cocoa, Florida U.s.

Post Number: 15
so do i add different ratios of polyfill to the smaller enclosures and less as mine get bigger tring to trick the woofer to act like their in the same size enclosure

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
if for example your biggest box size is 2.00 cubic ft. internal and your next box is 1.75 cubic ft. internal put 1.5 pounds in that one for a 15 percent boost equals very close to .25 for goal of 2.00 cubic ft. then do the same for the rest to equal them all out.

bass machine
Unregistered guest
first of all if you go too big it will eventually lose spl , if i was you go ported better spl and better sq

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
all were trying to do right now is fix what you have without much bother so id try this first then if your not happy we can go other routes like the ports
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us