Eclipse Aluminum, VAS question

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 559
I'm looking at getting the SW7100 series Aluminum 12", but I noticed the SW7300 series has almost the same specs. The only real difference between the 7100's and the 7300's is that the 7300's have a larger vas. I know vas has to do with the suspension, but what's the difference between these subs? Which is better?

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 35
I have the eclipse SW7124DVC T-2 and its very loud i think it is better than the 7300s but yea they are great subwoofers get them off www.woofersetc.com for 209.99 for the SW7124DVC T-2's they are good SQ/SPL subs, go ported with them also they sound great ported.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 331
Joe - The basket design is completely different between the two. But all other specs are same except the Vas. Sorry though, can't tell you what Vas is...

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 565
Yeah. I downloaded the tech file on the subs and the sw7100's have bigger magnets, and they do look different. I just wondered what exactly Vas was.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 333
So which one is really better? Or do they serve diff. purposes?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 566
I think they serve diff. purposes. I'm just gonna take a leap and say that the 7100 has better spl, but who knows. I need Jon or Isaac or somebody to tell me what Vas is.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3230
Vas is the equivalent suspension compliance of the subwoofer, meaning that if a sub has a Vas of 2 cu ft, then the suspension provides the amount of pressure that 2 cu ft of air would. It has more to do with choosing the right enclosure than it does the SPL of the sub. You'll need to know other factors as well, more magnet doesn't necessarily mean a better sub, huge magnets can tend to overdampen the driver if they are too strong for the sub they're powering, it can result in a boomy sound.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 574
Ok. Thank you Jon. Somebody finally answered me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us