Sub power question

Bronze Member
Username: Bigjay

Post Number: 59
How much factor does ohm rating have in sound and strength in bass. When looking at 4 ohms, 2 ohms and 1 ohms for wiring up subs, is the lower the number better or vice versa? I am trying to decide on what to do for my truck but I have a few options to consider and the big differences is the ohm load that I can choose from.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 679
ohm load plays a huge role not in the way your speaker sounds but the way an amp puts out power and how efficiant it will be doing it. a amp is much more efficiant at 4ohms then it is at 1. Lets say a normal amp that is 1 ohm stable puts out 400x1 @4ohms at .05%THD(total harmonic distortion) it would produce 800x1 @2ohms at a higher distortion rate prob something like .1% THD and 1600x 1 @1ohm with a even higher THD if it is 1 ohm stable not all amp are. All my numbers I just said are fictional I didnt pull them off of a amp that is real so dont think those THD #'s actually have value they are just examples. I would look into a dual 4ohm sub and look for a 2 ohm stable mono amp. What is your budget?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Budget for the whole job is about $2000, I have already decided on the Alpine 9833 for the head unit but that is all I have decided. I really like the Infinity Perfect 10.1d subs. Any suggestions you can make would be great.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 682
OK so that leaves you with $1700. What do you have for speakers already if any? what kind of car, and do you want all new speakers or just subs? let me know what you have in mind and I will help you put something nice together.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
The vehicle is a 2004 GMC Sierra Extended cab pickup. It has the 6 speaker setup in it. I have a sub box picked out. It is from Subthump.com and holds 2 10" subs with .7 cu ft airspace per sub and mnt depth of 6.5". It also has a built in amp rack taht I liked. My thoughts were the infinity Perfect 10.1 subs. The only things I really have thought about were the subs and head unit but the only thing I have completely decided on was the head unit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
sorry, 1500 series truck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
bump

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 713
those subs will sound pretty good if you can fit them. I would glue a dictionary down in each box make it so there is .5cu/ft in each chamber and go wiht two IDQ 10's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
yeah, those subs are rated for .6 cu ft airspace and have a mnt depth of 5-3/4". They are rated at 350WRMS with peak of 1400W. I went into the store and compared these to RF, Alpine, MTX and Audiobahn and I thought these subs sounded much better and had a better sound to them than all the others.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 715
yeah no doubt the Infinity's are nice subs and sound decent and will get loud as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
that is the whole reason I picked them. Due to the sound and power they had. Now a question for ya. I have a choice on these. I plan to run these with an MTX Thunder amp. I can either do 2 of these as SVC running to the MTX Thunder801 amp at 2ohms or run 2 of these as DVC running to a Thunder1501d at 4 ohms, which would be the best?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 717
I would rather run them at 4ohms. Your amp will be much more effciant at 4ohms as long as it doesnt cost much more you would always wanna go that way. Plus it gives you room for other options in the future as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Thank you for the info. All I need to do now is to determine speakers. Head unit, subs, amp and sub enclosure are figured out, now to choose speakers.
Problem I have with speakers is that acording to crutchfield, There is only a mount height available of 0.068" for the front speakers. Doesn't leave much room for decent speakers to replace the stock
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us