NEED HELP CHOOSING AMP

Username: Marblee78

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
after seeing all the answers posted to threads with this heading, i hope someone can help me find an amp that would best suit my system.

i have an MTX Thunder 4000 10" subwoofer. it's specs are:
Nominal Power Handling: 200-250W . 150-200W
Frequency Respond: 39Hz-150Hz
Impedance: 4 ohm
Peak Power Handling: 400 watts
Sensitivity: 88dB

i hope to get am amp that will work well with the sub, the factory speakers and the factory radio in my toyota tacoma. if anyone has any suggestions, i'd really appreciate it. oh, and i hope to spend less than $200 on the amp. thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 67
First off you have to have an aftermarket cd player to hook a sub and amp up.Alpine makes nice hu also you can look into pionner,panasonic.After you get a cd player you could get an mtx thunder 2301 amp it would power that sub perfect,there are better amps out there but it would look nice both being mtx and should sound good.

Anonymous

You do not need to buy a new HU you can just put in a line out converter instead. A headunit would make it sound better but not neccessary. I would go with a JBL 301.1 for an amp. Great amp for the price, sounds great too. You can pick one of those for about 200.

Bronze Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 71
I know you dont have to have a new hu but like you said it will sound better.And why go through the trouble putting in a line out convertor when he could get a good new head unit from say alpine for a couple hundred,it would look and sound nicer.

Anonymous

Twiztid...you knew that so well that your post said "First off you have to have an aftermarket cd player to hook a sub and amp up." Damn Newb!

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 2
thanks, guys, for the info. i DO plan on buying a head unit later on down the road - say, in about 5 months - but i'm just saving up for it now. after i get the head unit, would the JBL 301.1 still be a good amp to have?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 287
you could also get an amp with a high-level input.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3235
The problem with using LOCs and high level inputs on noise is that noise is usually a big issue, and you're also depending on the internal amplifier inside that stock head unit instead of a dedicated preout. A factory head unit's amp tends to clip pretty early, some around half volume. Some preamps can go all the way to 90-95% volume before approaching clipping.

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
thanks, guys, but i'm not really clear on what you guys are saying. would the JBL 301.1 be a good amp to have before AND after i get an aftermarket head unit?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us