Alpine - speaker and headunit filter help

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 529
First, my CDA-9830 has High and Low-pass filters on it. I know what they do, but I have a question about the High-pass filter. Since it can be set for the 80-160 hz range, it should be for everything but my sub right? Wouldn't that be pointless to run a sub with a hp filter set at like 80, barely anything would play. Well I tried it, and it did effect the sub, which makes no sense.

The reason I am asking this is becaus I am running a pair of the Type S 3.5" 2 way speakers in the front of my car, and on certain songs and certain beats, they pop and sorta crackle, but it's only over a certain volume level. I sorta wondered about overpowering the speakers, but my headunit puts out 18 watts rms, and the speakers take 15 watts, so that shouldn't be it? I thought I needed some crossovers or filters, until today. Today I noticed on some songs the speakers crackle and pop no matter what the volume, and it's really annoying. On other songs they sound perfectly fine. I haven't taken the speakers out to look at them yet, but just from looking at the cones, they seem ok. Nothing's burnt, the cones aren't stiff and roasted, they still move when I push on them, and like I said, they sound beautiful except for certain bass hits.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 530
C'mon guys

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 539

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 649
the only thing I can think of is maybe your sub isnt plugged into the sub RCA pre out on your deck. As far as the crackling goes those speakers need to be set at like 160-200 htz. I bet the speakers are on there way out my man.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 541
No, the sub is plugged into the preouts, everything is wired correctly. The only other thing I could think of for the speakers was maybe wires were touching metal somewhere where they are mounted or something. Should I try crossovers? They can't be on their way out, their brand new.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 654
yeah maybe when it gets a little bit of bass going through them it dhorts out somewhere. Thats a tough one with out seeing it.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 542
I don't know what else it would be, you'd think If the speakers were fried the tweeters would be the first thing to go? But it sounds fine on some songs, and others it's "snap crackle pop"

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3214
The HPF should be for the components, and it should block the bass from those 3.5" speakers. Set it to 160hz for the 3.5"

The LPF is for the subwoofer. I'd set it to the frequency just below 160.

If the LPF isn't affecting the subs, and the HPF is, really the only thing I can think of is that you have the subs plugged into the wrong preout. They have to be plugged into the subwoofer preout.

As far as the speakers, they absolutely HAVE to be used with a HPF. General rule is that for every octave down, excursion doubles. Those speakers can not play full range and shouldn't be treated as such. They aren't being overpowered, but that are being asked to play a frequency that they don't have the excursion abilities to accomodate, you likely caused some damage to the spider of the speaker or a joint somewhere, resulting in big distortion and mechanical noise. The reason that the tweeters didn't fry is because they have an internal crossover (be it a simple one), and they aren't being overpowered.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 543
Alright, thanks Jon. I'll try the Highpass filter again, maybe I'm just crazy and it didn't effect the sub.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 544
I just went outside and checked it out, and I finally got it. I wasn't paying attention and had turned the low pass filter up instead of the highpass filter. I set the Highpass filter at 160, and like magic the problem was solved. Speakers sound fine and I can crank it as loud as I want and no more pops. I knew that's what it was, I guess I'm just retarted and forgot how to read. Thankfully I fixed the problem when I did and didn't screw the speakers. Thanks a million Jonathan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us