Zapco Reference 500.1 vs. JL 500/1

Bronze Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 63
Hey isaac i know youve already answered this,no offense i trust you and everything but i just wanted to get everyones opion.Anyways i need an amp for my jl 12w6v2 and i was deciding between these amps,both are 500rms at 2ohms.Isaac said to go with the zapco,plus i can get the zapco for hundareds less than the jl but which would be better for my sub or would they be about the same? And are there any other amps that would be better than the ones i listed?Thanks for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1513
Man you're comparing apples and oranges. Zapco use high quality parts to make their amps.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 273
I heard that Zapco is the absolute best, but I don't know 1st hand. ($$$)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3202
I wouldn't exactly say apples and oranges, JL makes nice amps. The Zapco is still better IMO, but it's not drastic. Arc Audio makes some very good amps as well. Given the choice I'd definately do the Zapco, and consider Symbilink balanced cables to keep noise to a minimum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1514
Well it is in a way like apples and oranges cause Zapco Reference 500.1 is class AB and JL 500 is class D. All things being equal, on paper class D looks better, but in reality, class AB makes better sound quality. This is why you can't compare different classes.
I run everything on class ab amps and so does glasswolf. They may not be the most efficent when it comes to power, but you can't beat their SPL and SQ.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3206
I don't disagree with you by any means, AB is the way to go for purist sound quality. MOSFET transistors are too non-linear for total sound quality, plus the crossover distortion of a Class D is too high. I thought you were just comparing them from a standpoint of the companies and not the specific amps, my mistake.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
Hey Jonathan, whatever happened to glasswolf? He disappeared for a while. Did he get married or something?
It's not like him to be gone for a long time.

Bronze Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 64
Oh i didnt know the zapco was class a/b cuz it said mono sub amp my mistake.How is it class a/b if its only one channel? Maybe im not understanding the whole "class" thing oh well im gonna get the zapco for my sub thanks for the help everyone!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3210
Classes aren't based on the number of channels that an amplifier has.

Class A amp uses transistors that are biased to be ON all the time, it results in fantastic sound quality but has low efficiency and high heat since the amp draws current even when no signal is applied, it also means a larger amp due to the heatsinks required. Distortion is lowest of all amplifiers.

Class A/B-Uses transistors for both the positive and negative signal, and switches between the two. Amplifier provides a voltage bias that keeps the transistors right at or above their internal voltage (slightly ON) so that any signal change will instantly be amplified, it lessens crossover distortion. It draws less current than a Class A amp, is smaller, and has distortion that is very close.

Class D-Considered a "digital" amp because of the way it performs. As opposed to analog, in which it amplifies the signal according to the wavelength, this amplifier converts the incoming signal to a digital signal, and samples it to produce a waveform similar to analog. Since digital means binary with a base of 2, the only thing that the amp is capable of doing is turning power ON and OFF. It uses the positive and negative voltage rails of the amp to produce power, and applies various amounts of power to simulate an analog waveform. They have higher distortion than A and AB amps. A high frequency signal modulates the incoming signal, because that high frequency signal is present, it is usually limited to subwoofers. The amps are much more efficient than Class A and AB designs however, meaning less heat and current draw for a given amount of power, and a smaller amp.

Bronze Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 65
So should i get a class d for my sub? Since they are designed for subs,or would i be better of getting a class a/b since you said they have less distortion? I think im gonna get the zapco 500.1 for my sub tho,will it work good with it?

Bronze Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 74
Also i dont understand this "symbilink" stuff,do i have to have it to hook up my amp?If so would is everything i would need to do that? I didnt see any rca inputs on that amp and someone in another post said you have to have symbilink cuz zapco doesnt use rcas is this true?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1517
TWiZTiD you worry too much. Whomever posted that doesn't know much. Why would any manufacturer make an amp that only used a proprietary cable? That's a suicide. Wait a sec, Sony does that with their stupid memory stick!
Anyways back to Zapco, Reference series uses 6 pin Mini DIN or SymbiLink connector AND regular RCA.
So relax and have a beer.

Bronze Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 75
Thats funny that you said have a beer ive had a few right now.Im not worrying i just wanna know these things before i spend all this money on amps and such,i just wanna have a good system and thats why i ask the experts like yourself and johnathan.glass,ect. Sorry if im annyoing you but im sure you didnt know everything at first and you probly had to ask questions too.Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1522
Whoa, what are you doing drinking beer at 3am? You're not annoying me at all. I've been there, trying to get info/knowledge. The only problem was, I didn't have a forum like this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us