Eclipse Aluminum SW7124DVC, need a box and amp

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 519
I think I've finally decided on the Eclipse. Now all I need to do is decide on an amp. The sub is 450 rms. I was looking at the MTX 421D, it pushes 420 rms, but I wondered what else out there would match up good with this sub. I know I could probably push 500 watts to it just fine as long as I'm just careful.

Also, what kind of enclosure would you guys recommend. Sealed or ported. I'd really like to get the most spl out of it that I can, but I know prefab ported boxes suck, and I don't wanna have to make my own. The easiest thing would be to go sealed. What do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 438
I believe that Eclipses work better in ported inclosures, from what I've heard.
the Mtx is a pretty good amp.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 439
Also, you'll have to tell me how it sound's! I've been thinking of upgrading to the Eclipse 10's, but not sure yet.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 196
go with the tens...i have a eclipse al 10 inch modlel number 88100 and it is SOOO powerful...it broke to baffles so far but im not happy with the box...the sub performs sooo amazing i just aneed a bof for it...any hints taylor on what box to build...im considering building a new one

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 32
Go Ported its good i have those the SW7124-T2's they are loud as hell with a slot ported box, but make sure they tune and get all the specs right, they got all the measurements in the manual. Good subs tell me how they sound.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 521
Thanks Guys. What about an amp though?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3204
Those Eclipse drivers work well in both small sealed and ported boxes. I personally would go custom ported, probably 1.5-2 cu ft net tuned to around 33 hz for all around SQ and SPL. As far as an amplifier, that MTX you're looking at will do the job just fine. Remember that it takes double the power to get a 3db increase, so 420W to 500W won't be a huge jump. If you really want some SPL, then you'd want to tune higher, like around 45 hz, and pack power on the driver, such as 600W RMS. It would require an amp that has a built in subsonic filter, or adding Harrison Labs F-mods (plug in to the RCAs). You'd just have to be careful not to overpower the driver thermally.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 525
Yeah, actually the ported box I have right now should work really good then. It's 2 cf and it's tuned to 32 hz, good quality build, 3/4 mdf. And I also already do have Harrison F-mods. Thanks for the help Jonathan, I think I'm gonna go with the Eclipse and the MTX.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us