Help me decide...

Username: Festive3

CT USA

Post Number: 6
Hey, semi-newb here I'm looking to pick out an amp(s) for 2 Alpine Type R's (300RMS each)

First off how's audiobahn in terms of quality? Specifically the A800T (800Wx1 at 2ohms) It's a lot of watts for a cheap price ($200ish) so I'm a little weary.

or possibly two alpine mrh-m350 (350Wx1 at 2ohms)

Any other moderately priced amps that could drive these subs well? Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 264
I hear alot of bad things about audiobahn. Alpine is good. I would recommend a 600 watt RMS class D mono amp.

CT USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the input Iucas. My friend actually told me alpine amps aren't too great but then again I trust you more than him. So with Alpine I could go with two m350's or maybe one m501, but the 501 only puts out 550Wx1, would that be enough? Someone was telling me the amp should be rated higher than the subs. On another note: what other brands should I be checking out? Well thanks again for helping me out

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 624
well the 501 would push those subs very nice. Whoever told you that the amp should have more RMS power then your subs was dead wrong it should be the other way around. If you went with two 350's it would sound very nice I have done this system before and it sounded good. I would do the two amps over the one because it would be more efficiant but its alot easier doing the 501. Whatever works for you and your budget.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 210
501 would work accuall wattage is closer to 600
you could also get a mrd 1001 and give them 500 each which they should be able to take .. although i did blow mine .. luckily im goin to a good place and convinced them to order me 2 of the new R's (500 rms) under warranty :D . it could have been faulty but i hear of people doing it alot if you have a good warrenty and willing to spend a bit extra go for the mrd 1001 .. if you want to wait a bit go for the mrd 1005 alpines new 1000 watt amp which will be much cheaper so u could save a "few hundred"

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 272
yeah buying one amp would be much cheaper. check out the mtx 801d.

CT USA

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the input everyone. I like the idea of two 350's however that would require two seperate wiring kits I'm assuming? Mark I think the 1001 is a bit over my budget (I'd like to keep things under $300) and also I really would rather not wait (I've been waiting forever) Iucas, I was actually checking that amp out just a little while ago, the MTX 801D, however, would 800 watts be a little overboard? Also, where/what do you guys recommend I do for the wiring? Thanks again.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 277
not overboard. just turn the gain down a little. extra clean power wont hurt the speaker. if they clip then turn it down. its nice to have the extra power if ever you want it. i have the 1501d. its a nice small package and a good quality amp. and its an excellent deal. (on ebay)

Bronze Member
Username: Nwdmax

Post Number: 11
I like my mtx 801D and it was a good value too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us