2005 Type R 500 RMS / Help Please

Web
Unregistered guest
I am a bit irritated at my findings today. For those of you familiar with my situation.. I was looking to add a system this weekend. So I was hoping one of the many stereo places around here would have what's needed.

I had decided on going with the new Alpine Type R subs 12" 500 rms 1500 peak. I CANNOT find them anywhere. Everyone is telling me those aren't out yet, or they are not seeing them anytime soon. And Crutchfield is out of stock, and ebay is no where to be found. All I can find are the 300 rms 2004 models.

Anyone know where to find these subs.. I hear the 2005 models are going to be about the same cost as the 2004's so why settle?

Anyone have any ideas?

Also everyone is telling me sealed boxes at the stereo places.. what the hell is up with that? I wanted ported with fiberglass windows to see the magnets.. Does this sound unreasonable?

Please help.. I am one of those people that hate waiting when the money is burning a hole in my pocket, as bad as that sounds it's true..

Thanks, Web

PS.. I guess I should have registered by now :-)

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 492
If you want ported then do ported, don't listen to guys at the stereo places that wanna sell their crap to you. As long as it's built correctly it should slam. Fiberglass window might be a little hard to make but it would look cool. I think your smart getting the 2005 over the older models. I don't think the price for the new one is much more, if any.

Web
Unregistered guest
Another question is if I were to place grills over the subs does that effect the xmax excursion at all? The rewason I am asking is I originally wanted a bandpass to better protect the subs if I was to place something in the back of my suv. So I am thinking ported with windows.

Any thoughts?

Also if anyone locates or hears about the 2005 type r's 1242D 500 rms let me know. Crutchfield out of stock you can reserve now for $199 each. But if possiblre I would hate to wait..

Thanks, Web

Web
Unregistered guest
Thought I should add that I don't know if Alpine makes grills or I would have to have custom ones made, if I went with them at all... I dont want anything to intrusive or hideous..

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 514
I don't think you have to worry about the grill thing. Most stick out a ways so the sub doesn't slap it. My friend did crack a q-logic grill on a q-logic box once though. He had his Eclipse moving a ton and it smacked against the grill. Was pretty funny.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 211
ported with windows is a bandpass .. u can do that if u want it to sound like absolute shite alpines subs are not designed for bandpass boxes stick with a sealed or ported u can still do plenty of showy things with those and it will sound great.. the new type r's should be availibly id say mid late march and alpine has subwoofer grilles comming out as well which look pretty cool accually

Web
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input.. I wanted to make it clear about the windows. I was talking about have a box where the subs are still outside of windows facing out and not concealed behind anything. Also the box would have ports.. BUT the box on the top would have two cutouts where you can see inside the box looking at the magnets through windows (back view).. Would this still be considered bandpass even though the subs are not enclosed behing anything, and there are two windows looking in from the back? I really don't want to be that guy walking in there (stereo place) looking foolish to the sharks.. Thanks for all the help and to anyone who can comment on this..

Web

Web
Unregistered guest
Clarification: Imagine a sealed box, add ports, then add two cutouts on the back to see the magnets through fiberglass windows.

Would this be bandpass? Or Ported? I was under the impression it was ported.. Maybe I am wrong..

Web

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 213
fibreglass windows? do u mean plexiglass? u cant see through fibreglass very well lol in fact when u get about 6 layers that u need u cant see through it at all.. u need 3/4 plexi for a window which is fairly expensive.. you are getting a shop to do this correct?.. i see what your sayin now though subwoofer front monted on baffle -> ()= \ <-plexi on the back of box to see magnet? yeh u could do that as a sealed or ported box

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 337
Okay....has anyone determined who actually HAS these?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 589
A ported box with windows on the back to see your subs is still a ported box. Where in the world does adding windows to a ported box make it bandpass Mark? And yes, fiberglass isn't see through very much at all, you'd have to get very thick plexiglass or some other kind of clear think acrylic material.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 217
you failed to read my second post obviously i just misunderstood him ... and there not being shipped yet mazdaman should be very soon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us