Type RF amps

Anonymous

Are Rockford Fosgate Type RF amplifiers worth the money?

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 428
I don't think I have heard of that line from Rockford! Can you post the spec's or a link so I can check it out.

Anonymous

I'm interested in the Type RF X7 model. I found one for $985. I'm just wondering if these amplifiers are worth the hype they appear to be.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ez2/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?ItemKey=10065515&Cate goryDesc=Type%20RF%20Amplifiers

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/amp_typerf_grid.asp

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/amp_index.asp

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1498
If you're going to spend that much money on an amp, why not consider Zapco/Arc Audio/Orion/Xtant/PPI? I mean that series from RF is one of their best models but it still doesn't stack up against the above brands.
If you notice, RF never publishes the real important spec. Whatever happened to SN Ratio, Slew Rate, Damping factor, phase shift, buffered pass thru rcas, and Stereo separation?
You can't judge an amp without those numbers. That's what separates the great amps from pretenders Pyramid/Sony/Lanzar/Pyle/Boss/Kicker.

Anonymous

Thanks Isaac

Do you know where I can buy a Zapco amp online?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1499
You can try eBay. If not do a search on google or go to Zapco's website and they will tell you the nearest dealer near you.
The problem with buying cheap amp is that, you will have to upgrade sooner or later.

A.C.
Unregistered guest
NO!!!
look Anonymous, get a power rockfordfosgate they are way better i think plus they look a lot more sleeker plus they are a little cheaper, check it them out for your self if you dont belive or do what isaac said and check out ebay http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?Item Key=10063512&CategoryDesc=Power%20Amplifiers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1509
That RF is a good amp but for almost $1000, I rather get Zapco/Arc Audio/Xtant/Orion HCCA/PPI Art series/US Amps.
There was Zapco C2K 9 on sale for $900 before. That amp is 2000W rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1510
That RF is a good amp but for almost $1000, I rather get Zapco/Arc Audio/Xtant/Orion HCCA/PPI Art series/US Amps.
There was Zapco C2K 9 on sale for $900 before. That amp is 2000W rms.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 437
The Rockford T20001BD is a 2000 watt amp, and it is only like $700 something I want to say at www.sonicelectronix.com
The T30001BD is in the $1100 range.
In my apinion, not a bad deal on the T20001Bd, a 2000 watt amp for that price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1511
Like I said before, those models from RF are fairly good but they do not belong in the same class as Zapco.
I don't trust any company that hides all the important informations about their products anyways.
I'll give you an example. Did you know that some of the Alpine's amps are way overrated? I know lot of people buy Aline cause of the name. All I could say is some of their models have a slew rate of 5. Yes you heard it right, 5. This is why they never like to publish such information.
That wasn't the only bad number, SN ratio, stereo separation, damping factor and THD. First I thought I was looking at Sony or Pyramid amp.
So I'm telling you, RF may say 2000w or 3000w, it won't stack up against Zapco/Arc Audio etc brands.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 440
Sorry, but I don't know what slew is. Can you explaine, or post a link to something where it explaine's them? Also how can you find that information on the amp's that don't post it?

Username: Will26

Post Number: 4
Also Isaac could you please tell us out of the SN ratio, stereo separation, damping factor and THD what type of numbers make up a good quality amplifier in your opinion? I know you mention Zapco and Arc Audio but more specifically what models for lets say 1000 watts RMS or more. Whats your opinion on Phoenix Gold amps like the Xenon series do you think they are any good?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1512
Most manufacturers won't post any technical information unless it's worth bragging. Typical example is Zapco. They advertise how great their amps are by posting just about everything you can think of. Others just elect to show power numbers, RF, Kicker, Lanzar, Sony, Pyramid, Alpine, Pyle, Boss, Audiobahn, MTX and so forth.
Most consumers buy amps based on power/watts and price. This is why Sony/Pyramid/Boss are making tons of money.
Here's the easy to understand version of the slew, damping and few other definitions.

Slew Rate: This is a term used to describe how quickly the output of an amplifier can track its input. Slew Rate is usually measured in V / usec. The higher the value (up to a point), the better the amp is at potentially reproducing the subtle nuances and dynamics associated with music reproduction.

Damping Factor: This is a quantity which defines how quickly the amplifier can stop a reproduced frequency such as a bass note. The higher the damping factor, the better the amp will control the woofer and help reduce overhang distortion (again to a point). The damping factor of an amplifier is mostly dependent on the output impedance of the power amplifier and the ability of the power supply which feeds the power amp.

Signal to Noise Ratio: The ratio of the strength of a signal to the strength of any background noise that might also be present. The higher the SNR, the more easily the signal can be distinguished.

Stereo/Channel Separation: Measurement in decibels of the amount of channel leakage that occurs; higher figures are preferable meaning that there is little channel leakage

THD: The ratio of the total rms signal due to harmonic distor-tion to the overall rms signal, in dB or percent.

And now here's a spec of a great amp, Orion HCCA G4:

SN Ratio: >100db
Damping Factor: >400
Slew Rate: >30v/ms
THD: <0.1%
LPF: 45hz to 5Khz
HPF: 10Hz to 10kHz
.5ohms stable in Stereo
1ohm stable in bridged

Username: Oldoneeye

Post Number: 1
Rockford has a store on ebay called High Desert Audio. They have quite a few of the RF Type RF amps there for sale. I bougth a few X1 amps for about $50 plus shipping. At that price, you get RF Power amp line type of amplifiers for Boss Audio type of pricing.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us