Distortion Problem

TrevorS
Unregistered guest
I have a pioneer deck with a sony xm-752x amp (2 channels) and some cheap subs from Circuit City. When i have the balance on the deck centered it distorts very bad at mid volume. If I move the balance to the left or right the one sub its balanced on sounds great. Second if i bridge the amp the both subs sounds alright but if the amp is turned to high it keeps going into protection mode.

Any help would be great!!!! Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1488
Well you have 2 problem. Sony amp and cheap subs. They are not a good combo.
Anyhow, check your gain/level setting. If it's not set properly, it'll force the amp to go in protection mode and cause distortion.

Anonymous

Make sure that when you bridge your amp and wire your subs that you're not giving it a lower ohm than what its rated for. remember, that when bridged, the amp runs at 4 ohms.

TrevorS
Unregistered guest
I have checked all that. If I have the amp set more then 1/2 it will go into protection mode. So for now I just have it set at half.

I havnt had the amp hooked up for a long time but it worked fine when i took it out. And I thought if anything would make it sound like crap would be bridgeing it, not running it as 1 channel per speaker. And I dont understand why it would sound so good with the balance to the left or to the right.

Anonymous

could one sub be out of phase, (crossed the pos, neg wires.) and when both of them are moving, they are canceling each other out thus creating distortion. that may be why it sounds good with only one sub playing and bad when both subs are playing.

Anonymous

and as for your gain setting, it should be set at the voltage your amp signal is. (ie. 4volt preout HU, amp gain set at 4v)

TrevorS
Unregistered guest
Could you set me straight on the gain part please. I thought it meant the output settings to the subs. I will go check out the wireing and get back to you.

Thank you for you help!!!!!

TrevorS
Unregistered guest
Ok now I feel like a dumb @#%. I Should have checked the wireing first. Had the polarity reversed on the passenger side, at the box. I didn't relize it would make that much difference.

Anonymous, I do appreciate all your help and suggestions. Thank you soooo much!!!!!!

Anonymous

you can search this forum about gains levels. alot of people are misleaded about the gain settings.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us