Sony XPLOD Subs Question (PLEASE Help)

Anonymous

I am going to be purchasing a system for my SUV this weekend. I am on a budget of about $850 and that includes installation costs. For now I am interested in adding the following...

12" Subs (QTY: 2 or 3) 350 Watts RMS or more
Class "D" Mono Sub Amp (With Remote Bass Control)
Sub Enclosure (Hopefully Bandpass)
Farad Capacitor (Improving Sound Quality)
Wiring & Installation

Now...

First of all I think a bandpass enclosure would be best based on looks in my opinion, if not going for a full custom fiberglass look. Also I don't want the speakers damaged if I put something in the back of the car. And I hear it gives deeper bass but with less accuracy..

I am keeping my factory HU and 6 speakers for now it gives great sound, plus I didn't want the added costs of harness kits and adaptors for my door chime, which would run over $100 by itself.

I am interested in adding bass and hopefully as much as possible on this budget. I would like an even balance of SQ/SPL.. Being heard down the block would be nice at times. Rattling my insides would be pleasant as well.. :-)

Something that is good for Rock as well as Hip-Hop would be perfect..

Am I way off in obtaining any of this on this type of cash flow?

I was looking at the Sony Xplod 12" 1200 Watt Peak / 350 Watts RMS subs. 2 or 3 of them, will get them new from a reputable store for only $40 each with full warranty. I have researched and they go for about $85 - $90 everywhere else. So I would save money there I guess.. Problem is I read they are built for small sealed enclosures.. what would happen in a bandpass situation?

About the Amp.. Will I need about 500 Watts RMS? I read it's best to run a little more RMS than your subs rate at.. Under powering will cause muddy sound and or distortion?

Anyhow.. Looking at Sony, AudioBahn, MTX, ect.. ect.. Just would like a good amp as stated above in my wish list.. I am pricing these at about $350 for the ones I have mentioned.. This would be for one amp..

So can anyone give me some advice on these subs, amps, ect.. I need to choose what I will buy, and I am losing my mind trying to come up with the right combo.. I have heard a mixed bag on the XPLODS.. Some love it, some hate it.. Seen car shows like the XPLOD cars and the Circuit City car.. I now they are a combined effort of Sony and Crutchfield.. I have never hear them..

I just want to know whats going to get me a high DB level, decent sound quality, and everything I need above for $850

Sorry to be winded.. I hope some of you can suggest some things.. or tell me if I am headed in the right direction..

Thanks...
Web

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 228
as anyone else would probaly tell you your not gonna get what you want with SONY subs.

Anonymous

So what do you recommend? Also hope to hear from others to gather a nice debate..

Thanks..
Web

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 229
do u mind buying online ?

Anonymous

Not if it's a reputable place.. I will be having it installed at a dealer here.. I don't know maybe All & Ed's or circuit city.. Both have warranty against faulty installs.. I will not need to buy where I have it installed..

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 82
stay away from sony and circuit city....you would be just as well off learning from the net and then doing it yourself...if you have 800 or so to spend you should be able to do a h*ll of a lot better than sony.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 230
ok go to the top-click on CAR AUDIO-click on SUBWOOFERS-click on SHOP for SUBWOOFERS-click on ecoustics.com check prices-then type in your price range and see what u can find.

Bronze Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 83
also look around..there might be a few better deals than on here...try www.ikesound.com ive picked up a few things from there and it was all A+.

Anonymous

Is Circuit City Bad? And what do you recommend? I have about $850 as ststed. I still do not know why the Xplod's suck? Can anyone explain as far as hard hitting bass? I am trying to put this all together but it's tough.. I do not want to get screwed by some salesman in the store...

Web

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 231
do u have a aftermarket Head Unit? Amp? Wiring?
Rob is def right. if your gonna spend 850 u could go alittle more expensive with the subs.

Bronze Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 84
you have enough for a top of the line budget system..also what i went with. but id recommend 2 12" type r's $245 shipped
a 6,7,or 8 hndret watt 2 channell amp..$200-$300
and then you have enough for a deck, the wiring and anything else you might need..just an idea but look into it if ya want..theres quite a bit you can afford but i think for that price range the type r's will perform as well or outperform anything else...except for the shiva ive heard...but you could look into those aswell..they are like $125 shipped or something.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 232
circuit city is runed by a bunch of diks, just trying to get as much money as possible. they will tell u what u want to here, not what is true.
most of the installers are undertrained and have no experience. they'll recomend something just becouse its more money not better quality.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 233
look at cerwin vegas. cheap and very good quality.

and do u have anything right now?

Anonymous

I have nothing right now.. Will need to pay for the following..

1. Subs
2. Amp
3. Enclosure
4. Wiring
5. Installation
6. Farad Capacitor (Possibly)

Budget $850

I will be using my fatory HU for now with my factory 6 speakers for tweeters and mid bass, with factory amp under dash.. $850 for whats listed above.. If I get into anything esle right now it will cost too much.. Will add later if needed.. Only concern is bass will drowned out mids and highs on factory setup.. But they are very high quality, and are 2004 models.. Of course can't compare to aftermarket HU but should work for now..

Web...

PS.. So the Alpine Type R's are better than the Xplods?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 234
do just want me to tell u what to buy?

Web
Unregistered guest
Yeah definately do not want to get into salsman up selling on cost instead of quality.. that would suck.. And something I DO NOT want to get into.. Thats why I am here hoping to gain some useful info to protect myself with.. Dont want to walk away feeling raped.. And NOT happy with the sound.. Like I said I guess I am a bit of a show off.. So it would be nice to have the hardest hits for my buck.. BUT remember a bandpass would be best for me because of speaker protection..

I hope this helps..

Web..

Web
Unregistered guest
Well if you want to tell me what to buy that's fine.. Maybe tell me what you would spend the $850 on.. But I have to figure in install, not sure how much that will be at the moment.. I am just looking for ideas because I have been looking and it seems I have no clue... I was looking at the Xplods because I can get 2 of them for $80 and have a lot of money left for other things listed.. I was looking at Audiobahns.. It seems my choices can show my lack of knowledge.. So it seems.. But the Internet reviews are mixed, thats added to my confusion..

Web
Unregistered guest
To give you an idea of sound my brother has 2 12" Volfenhag subs 1000 Watts Peak / 500 RMS in a sealed enclosure with a Performance Teknique Amp powering them, and they hit hard, but I would like a more intense sound, if possible on my budget.. As far as subs go..

Bronze Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 85
2 12" alpine type r-$245.00 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803%26item%3D5750170757 %26

mrd m501-$229.00+s/h

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2109

alpine cd player descent older model that still is a very nice deck-$150 or so shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39755%26item%3D5749520168 %26

build your own box $70 for supplies at local hardware store.

wiring- scosche kit- wal-mart $25.00..descent kit.

caps...are useless

and whatever you have left over is what you have for install or cap or whatever. but that would sound pretty good folr $850.00 IMO

Web
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input.. I will definately look into the Type "R" Alpine's.. And the amp.. I am not adding a HU right now.. You think that's a mistake? Didn't want to have to buy adaptors for door chimes and ect. ect.. So even though the Xplod's are 350 RMS and the Type "R's" are only 300 RMS.. they are better? Please excuse my lack of knowledge.. I just want to be prepared not to get screwed... Appreciate everyone's help so far... PS.. What about Bandpass box? Would the Alpine's be okay?

Web
Unregistered guest
Difference between the Alpine Series? Type "S" "E" and "R", what's better..

Bronze Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 86
yeah definitely...they are not even on the same level as alpine...also if you have that much to spend then adding a deck now is definitely a good idea...those older alpine decks on ebay that are last years models and the year before's..they are great decks for great prices just be careful who you deal with....and i wouldnt use a bandpass box because in my personal opinion they suck...but always remember..."if you port it, bass will come"..id go with ported for spl(sound pressure level)(bass)if your looking for sq which i dont think you are sealed would be good. but the type r's are a descent sq sub to begin with..but remember that was just my opinion keep looking until you find something that you like and just keep asking around.

Bronze Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 87
also keep me posted on what your doing cause i gotta go right now..but ill be back on around 11 or so...so ill read up on how your coming along...*peace*

Bronze Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 88
type r is better all around

Web
Unregistered guest
Thanks.. Will be reading up today.. Will welcome anyone else's ideas or opinions.. and will definayely keep it posted as to what happended..

Web

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 439
I can tell you right now your gonna make things a lot easier and better sounding if you do get an aftermarket cd player. You don't have to get anything super-expensive either. You can get the low end Alpines for way under 200 bucks, and they would have everything you'd ever need as far as quality and options. The main thing your gonna want is the rca pre-outs. It'll make things easier when you go to install an amp. I can also tell you that you made a very very good choice of first asking if what you were gonna buy was good or not. I know I know it'll be the best choice you'll ever make as far as car audio. I would be very sad to see you spend $850 on Sony crap.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
www.knukonceptz.com for wiring kit. best wire Iv seen, I bet you wont ever p.rick your fingers with there wire.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 935
yea pricking your fingers with speaker wire is about as bad as that tingly feeling you get when you rub your fingers down a chalk board...

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 207
do NOT put type r's in a bandpass box.. use a sealed or ported and if your worried about them getting damaged u can buy covers for subs that are cheap.. idealy u should save up some money for a decent HU it kind of makes the system.
something to take note of... new alpine equipment should be out soon the new type R's have increased power handling 500 watts as opposed to 300 for the same price .. and there 1000 watt amp has been remade at a much cheaper price was 900 us new one will be 600 i think ,this is retail of course

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 623
you wint need a cap for this setup. try getting a sealed box, and an aftermarket hu. if you cant afford a really nice one then, just get a decent one for like 125-150 bucks. do look at the type Rs. good stuff for the price, also there is a new company called ascendant audio. you can get 2 twelves for under 300. they are very nice and use the xbl^2 tech. as for an amp see if you can t find a jbl 600.1 it would perfect for this setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 31
I have two 12" Type "r"s on there way to me. However i have no idea what box to put them in. I listen to alot of rap and i heard bandpass is good for this. If not, could someone post a link for a box that the R's will fit into? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 180
ok i dont know if you bought anything yet...but ill give you my input on this k...here is what i think you should do

T1501D - MTX 1 Ch 1500 Watt Thunder Amplifier-$379.99
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=362&1=363&3=2169
2 12 inch Eclipse AL's -210 each so 420 bucks
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=279&1=285&3=3353

Build your Own box Around 40 bucks for supplies at Lowes or Home Depot

Farad Capacitor Not Neccesary...could always save up and get it at a later time...but not needed now

now just use the rest for wiring...just install it yourself...i can tell you how if you want..its simple....thats a better system...good luck

Web
Unregistered guest
I have not purchased anything yet. I am waiting for fed. tax return on the 11th, and will be using some of that for this system. My budget is $850 as stated.. I do have a coupon for Al & Eds if I spend $1000 I get $250 off. So if I shopped there I will be able to spend $1,100.

I talked with a rep from crutchfield about the Alpine Type "R's". He was trying to get me to use 250 RMS for the 300 RMS subs. He also said it would be wired at a 2 ohm load so I would need a 2 channel amp and I would be looking at the watts (RMS x 2ohms) to see the power I would be getting to these subs. He said I would need the 2 channel because they are double voice coiled. And also that a mono sub amp would not work for me with these subs.. If all this right, or is he selling me wrong? I would not buy them there just asking them.. Type R is $199 each at 300 RMS. A little pricey from what I have heard here..

Bronze Member
Username: Audio_fanatic

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 28
Yah, crutchfield is a good company but they do have very high prices. But still i woiuld rather spend 200 for those type r's, than get 3 xplods for 10 bucks. Honestly if you are worried about tha difference between tha xplod's and tha type r's. Dont be, the type r's will stomp all over them. And if you're still a little nervous about tha price, i would go with tha adire shiva's and put them in a ported enclosure, they run for around 125....i think and are one of tha best bang for your buck subs out their. But by tha looks of your budget i would go with tha type r's. Which in my opinion are a tad better than tha shivas. But everyone hears thing differently

Web
Unregistered guest
What do you think an install would cost me? And are Eclipse subs the same /better/worse than the Type R's? I think I am over the Xplods.. See my post above for the latest.. Please let me hear if you think the guy from crutch was right or not.. Also what you think about the $1100 if I went to Al & Eds and how that changes any prospective.. I appreciate everyone's opinions..

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 625
the bad thing about the shiva is they are on back order till marrch and they are a dual 8 ohm sub, so they can only be wired to 4 ohms. unless you have 2 then it will be a 2 ihm load. you can also try ASCENDANT AUDIO. they have subs that will compete with type rs and idqs. they also get pretty load. 145 a piece for 12s. or the avalanche, it is a very load sub. very good prices, service, and quality. look in to it

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 236
in my opinion the eclipse is better. I think they need alttile more power tho. I was looking at them in a store a while back they are incredible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us