Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Post Number: 143
BUMP.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 927
not too bad, just a suggestion, instead of dynamat try like edead from elemental designs, or you can use water/ice barrier available at lowes or any real home improvment store, its cheaper and you'll be able to get more for less...works the same. Other then that, sounds pretty good, ever try to build a box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Nope, this is my first system and i really dont have a clue. My friend is going to do the isntallation and i am going to watch and learn. He has never build a box before. Is this box any good for the 2 shivas with 500 watts?
text/htmlUpload
OBCGZ32812.html (48.7 k)

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Also, will 75 watts to my components that are 50 rms damage them, or should i just use the amp in the HU that puts out 47X4??????

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 930
ok, i'd first off find an amp to better suit your components, chances are pretty good that the 75rms will damage your components. As for your headunit, it doesnt actally put out 47x4rms, thats max, it puts out somewhere more along the lines of 12-16rms...just so ya know

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 256
Shiva's handle 650W per sub I thought (375W/coil). Also, Jeff, I think he's getting an amp for the components.

Memphis MCSQ6.5 Components = 250
16-MCA150 Amp 75X2 Amp = 180

That'll be a pretty nice setup once you get everything in, good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
since the 75watts might not be so good i decided that it would be best to just get the Nakamichi PA1002 50X2 amp that is actually $50 less than the memphis 2 channel amp. What kind of quality is the Enclosure that i have links to above???

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 257
Also, as far as I know, Nakamichi isn't the highest quality stuff so keep that in mind. The 75W should be ok, assuming you're not maxing out your volume knob.
The enclosure seems ok to me. Also, am I blind or does that website not tell you what the enclosure is tuned to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
Nakamichi is one of the best there is, especially in HU and AMPS. I can't beleive you think that they are not high quality.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 420
I really wouldn't go as far as to say Nakamichi is one of the best there is. There are better headunits from other companies, and I really have never heard anybody recommend their amps. Not saying their bad, but I don't think their top of the line.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 261
How much are you paying for the HU? Amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Glasswolf said "Nak's amps and head units are very good." I have heard it from many others as well. I am paying 290 for the HU and 140 for the AMP with free delivery.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 265
Maybe they are decent quality, for the price anyway. In my mind, I'm comparing them to much higher end stuff, so forgive me.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 425
I'm not saying they are bad. I know they make great headunits and I really haven't heard anything about their amps. I'm saying exactly what Jake is. There are better products out there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
we are all entitled to our own opinions. Anyways, what do you think of the box that i plan on getting for the shivas that i have links to above? I dont want to go through the trouble building one. I am worried that since it is ported that the SQ will be bad.

Anonymous

nakamichi is whack!

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 266
The box looks pretty good. The SQ shouldn't be bad, it won't be as tight as a sealed, however. Also, you should find out what that box is tuned to. Either sealed or ported, those Shivas should boom pretty decently. If you get the ported and you think it isn't tight enough, go buy a sealed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
My new setup. I changed a few things.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1- mounted in stock locations, since my doors are big in my 2003 monte carlo they are aprox. near close to where a kick panel would be in a normal car.

2 Adire Audio Shivas in an OBCON Ported Enclosure-I am getting the dual box and will put them in there powered by the 500 watt amp.

500 watt memphis amp- powering the Subs

75X2 watt memphis amp- powering the components

Nakamichi CD-400-The head unit i want. Love the stock look

60 square feet EDEAD

Bronze Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 22
It will be pure SOund QUality

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
oh yeah, almost forgot. I just got a new Memphis EQ7 eualizer that is 7 bands and chrome for $1. Dont know if i will need it, but for a dollar i could pass it up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
do you think i will need 60 square feet of EDEAD to do just my trunk and around the speaker location in the front doors?

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
shizzit, i dont think the 6.1's will work, crutchfield only shows the 5.1's as fitting my vehicle. I dont know what to do now. Is there a huge diff between the 5.1's and the 6.1's???

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
it didnt post up the time and new. Hopefully it will this time.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 638
i would check your car doors. every where i look it tells me to put 6x9s in the back and 4s in the front, but my car has 6.5s in the back and 4x6s in the front. go figure. this is everywhere. bb. local shops. crutch. so look yourself first.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
is there a huge diff between the 5.1's and the 6.1's?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 641
im not sure i havent dealt with them before but im sure diameter ad mounting depth are different

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
i meant sound wise.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 643
oh. i dont know

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
the only thing i can thing i can think of is that since it has a smaller woofer their would not be as much bass. Thats what worries me if i have to go with the 5.1's.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 274
If you have subs, I wouldn't worry about getting bass out of my door speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
i am worried about mid-bass.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 445
good point chris, hey, one thing you could do is baffle you 6x9's so they produce your midbass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
if i have to with the 5.1's i think i would decide to replace my 6X9's with the Adire Extremis 6.8, if that is ever possible i would pop two of those back there. I think the reason why the 6.1's wont fit is because of the depth. I have a friend coming over later today and we are going to measure and find out why Cruthfield and Etronics say they wont fit.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 449
You shouldnt have any trouble fitting them in.
The only part of a car that gives me any trouble in that area is the trunk lids torsion bars. Those can't be moved without customizing. Then again your car may have gas shocks that hold up your trunklid, I dont know. The last car I had problems with was a 98 honda accord 2 door coupe.
the 6x9 magnets hit the torsion bars so I ended up taking out the torsion bars and built a bracket for a replacement hood shock I picked up from Autozone.
But it sounds like you've got this under control anyways, let us know how it turns out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
maybe it would be better if i just used that money i would spend on more speakers and possibly find an even better set of components that have a more shallow mounting depth. Any suggestions??? Also, what do you think of the Audiocontrol Epic-160???

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
I went on ininity and they have a speaker fit guide that listed my measurements and depth for my car. It has 2.5" and the 6.1's are 2.75" so it looks like they are out. What do you think is the best set for under $350 that would fit. So far i am looking at the 5.1 but mid-bass might be lacking and i dont want to do any rear fill. Then other set i was looking at was the focal 6.5 polyglass slim set. I dont know what the measurements are though. Any ideas on a component set would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3191
"Also, as far as I know, Nakamichi isn't the highest quality stuff so keep that in mind"

"Maybe they are decent quality, for the price anyway. In my mind, I'm comparing them to much higher end stuff, so forgive me."

Exactly, "as far as you know", meaning you've never seen or used a Nak head unit or amplifier. So what high end equipment are you comparing it to? A Nak head unit will easily match up to any Alpine, Eclipse, or Premier head unit you put beside it, with the exception of the $3,000 Alpine CDA-7990. Quit spouting off opinions when you haven't even used the equipment to develop a fair opinion on it.

"I know they make great headunits and I really haven't heard anything about their amps. I'm saying exactly what Jake is. There are better products out there."

Nakamichi makes extremely good electronics. Their head units and amps are every bit of top of the line. See post above. The CD-700 is an excellent head unit and absolutely gorgeous, not your typical head unit, it's very stealthy and classy. Analog pots, very few controls, and fewer features, and IMO it's in a good way because it focuses on using well designed high end electronics as opposed to cramming everything that you can possibly fit inside a DIN size unit. I wish more manufacturers would make head units that looked like that. The main thing you lose with their head units are features like EQ and other processing, but if you're going with a high end system you'll have 1/3 octave equalizers handling the job anyway, and possibly crossovers, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
I think that this is going to end up being my final setup.

2 Adire Shivas
Nakamich CD-400
Focal 165 V Slim 6.5 Polyglass Components 60X2
Memphis 500 watt amp for sub
Zapco Iforce I-250 50X2 or Cadence 60X2???
Dual 12 ported OBCON box.

If anyone has any ideas that would make it better but stay in the price range of 1500, let me know.

Also, i was looking at the Audiocontrol Epic-160. I would spend the extra coin if ya think that it would make a differnce in the bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Bump.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 634
Man I dont know how I kept passing over this thread but I would have loved to say a thing or two about Nakamichi. They are very nice high end components not to mention pretty $$$ as well. I used to have a naki amp about 6 years ago running a set of ADS 325 components and man that amp sounded crystal clear. I have seen a few systems in high end car audio mag's with all macintosh and Nakamichi equipment and man it looked nice and the ratings it got was unbelievable. You are making a smart choice by staying with them you cant go wrong with it. Very nice stuff, your system should sound very nice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
I hope so. Above I put the zapco or Cadence, i think that i have decided on the zapco one purely from reviews that they are geared extremely towards SQ, which is a good thing. I doubt that 10 watts will make that much of a difference. Also, i heard that they underrate their wattage, is that true?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 637
yes Zapco is top of the line quality. You have picked out some nice stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
do you think that i should get either an equalizer or the epic-160 from audiocontrol for bass improvement? I think that is the last thing that i need to know.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 638
The epic is a nice unit but I dont think you need it. I would install everything and if you arnt happy with the way it sounds then go ahead and try the Epic or a EQ. I dont know about the features that the Naki deck has if it doesnt have the controls you want then look into it but I would hook it all up first and see how much control you have with the deck first.

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Changed my mind about the memphis amp and just orderd the Zapco Refernce 500 watt amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Oh, i alsmost forgot. I think i have a 100 amp alt. Do you think that the 600 watts that i will be using will cause to much current draw?

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
bump

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 528
600 rms or peak? 100 amps should be ok for either.

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
thats good. I also decided that it would prob be best to build a box for the subs instead of buying one premaid. Does anyone have any ideas for what the dimensions of the box should be for 2 shivas and a mix of SPL and SQ? I will be using the 500 watts Zapco Amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
i Changed my mind and went with the zapco 500 reference amp. I am going to use the Din to RCA male cable to go from my amp to my head unit because i dont want to clear my bank account out to get the Symbilink stuff. I will save up and upgrade later and get the 7 band equalizer/preamp line driver for symbilink. Wish me luck as i plan on ordering everything within the next week after i find out weather or not the Nakamichi CD-400 will fit in my 2003 monte carlo after some searching on the internet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us