Should i make tha switch?

Bronze Member
Username: Audio_fanatic

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 26
My jl 300.2 amp keeps killin tha crossovers for my utopias, i have had to replace them three times and i have had them for about one month, its under warranty so im not losing money or n e thing. Thank God. But i was thinking about using a jl 300.4 amp and elimanating tha crossovers and sending 75 watts to each tweeter and 75 to tha speaker. What do guys see as pros and cons of doing this?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3150
You will kill the Focal tweets with that much power. The crossover is designed to protect the tweeter via resistance and slope. Running active can have it's benefits, but only if you're VERY careful with it, especially with the tweeter. That amp will put out more power than it typically would since you're eliminating the crossover and putting the crossover ahead of the signal. The main thing you lose by going active is you lose zobel impedance correction of the system such as controlling driver resonance peaks and such. Pros of active can be a mile long. Focals are pretty sensitive about their power rating, to be quite honest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us