Frozen Voice Coil

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

FL USA

Post Number: 288
I just received a JL sub in the mail and found out the voice coil is frozen. If you push on the front cone its solid stiff. Doesn't move at all. Is there anyway I could repair this myself or am I gonna have to send it into JL?

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 575
if they are new or still under warranty you might void warranty if you try to do it yourself.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 289
I Don't think it is under warranty still at all, so thats why I asked if I could fix it myself.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 479
I would send it back to JL they shouldnt charge you much to replace it. What model is it?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 290
W6, I emailed JL about it, Just waiting for their response. Hopefully they'll respond.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 578
or you can hook it up right, give some juice and "UNFREEZE IT" lol. come on, it will be fun. take pics

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 291
lol, Is there a way to fix the coil though on your own? What happens anyway when you hook up a frozen sub though?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 579
im not sure. i dont know that much. and if you hook it up im not sure either. but it seems like it would be fun to watch. it would probably not go down and only one way, up and would blow your cone off probably. but i dont know. too bad you need that sub or you could try it.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 484
you will most likely blow the othe coil. That sub is worth having fixed. While they have it ask how much it would be to do both coils. Might as well if you are doing one if the price isnt to bad.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 580
no no no. what are you thinking james thats no fun. it will be funner to blow it...lol. im just kidding that isnt a very responsible thing to do. yes that sub is worth getting fixed. its pretty nice. i give you five bucks to give it power.:-)

ok, maybe 6 bucks

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 292
I have a pyrmid sub laying around that I'll try it with..If you give me that 5 bucks lol

I just hope JL dont charge alot to fix it.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 297
Well, Here is JL's response

"Hello, this woofer has been discontinued for a while now. Unfortunately we no longer have the parts to repair them. The woofer that replaced it is the 12W6v2.
"

I find that kind of stupid that they long longer carry parts for the sub. I asked them if theres anyways they could put in a special order But I doubt thats gonna happen. So now what are my options?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 554
man that sucks. What garbage! They are just trying to get you to buy a new sub. Try talking to someone up higher. I doubt it will work but you never know. the fact that they say they dont have the parts to fix it still is a crock of you know what. I would try to call them and see if you can talk to someone cool. Hector or Tom in Tech support are pretty cool guys see what they have to say.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 298
Hector was the one who said that. I'll see what they say with the next response. If they still tell me they cant offer to fix it then I'll give them a call.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 593
my 5 bucks is still on the table:-):-):-):-):-)

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 300
As tempting as it is, I'm gonna have to pass lol

Hector also emailed me back saying they cant put special orders in. Now come on, They had the parts once before, why the hell cant they order them again? Will local audio shops fix frozen coils?

Unregistered guest
hell nah ill lay down an extra 20$

Unregistered guest
they will if they have the parts
but i would just let em thaw

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 31
I know how you feel about not being able to get parts for discontinued items. My '58 Studebaker isn't the same without the left front blinker light.

Maybe the reason why they were discontinued was because JL could no longer get the parts for them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us