Is 60WRMS from amp too much for a 50WRMS speaker?

Username: Xexkxex

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 7
Is 60WRMS from amp too much for 50WRMS speaker?

The amp is 60Wx4 RMS @ 4ohms...

The speaker is 50W RMS and 150W max...

I was told once that your amp RMS should not be above your speaker RMS but still try to match it...is this true?

I plan on putting two component sets of 6.5"(60W RMS @ 4ohms) speakers and tweets in the front doors and replacing my 4"x6" speakers in the side rear with a set of 4"x6"(50W RMS @ 4ohms). I will then push them with this amp I am eyeing that is 60Wx4 @ 4ohms.

Does this sound good for the highs and mids in my full size single cab GMC Truck?

I am looking for a thumbs up before I install my first stereo system by myself. Thank you guys so much for info here, I have learned so much in the last 3 days. Thanks.
- Charles -

unwashed_fury
Unregistered guest
60 Watts is fine for ur fronts. u can actually go up to 150Watts before goin into the danger zone on it.
Hmm... about ur rear..generally the brighter of ur soundstage shuld be infront. This is to prevent the focus from being shifted to the back..when listening to music..movies are a different story.
Peace and G'd luck.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 477
Yes 60 watts is fine, going over like a little is fine. You are also corect about matching your speakers RMS, with your amps RMS. Do not look at the max wattage, and do not think you can put 150 watts rms amp on a speaker rated at a max of 150 watts. You will blow the speaker.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 400
yes jeremy is right. You should be just fine with those ratings. What I would do is actually either fade your deck towards the front. Those speakers in your rear are going to be bright with 10 more watts then the RMS. Typically you want a soft rear fill not a blaring Highs. Just to know what kind of amp are you running and what kind of speakers?

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 8
The Pioneer TS-C160R 6.5" REV Components I am buying are:
250W max(60 nominal)

...and the Pioneer TS-P462 4"x6" 2-Way Component Plate Speakers I am getting are:
150 Watts Max(50 Nominal).

I found a 4-channel Pioneer GM-6100F Amp that has:
continuous power(4ohm): 60Wx4

Thanks for your help guys.
- Charles -

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 9
Jeremy & James:
Do you guys think I might want to buy a crossover for the 4x6's or is the built in crossover in the speakers themselves and the built in crossover on the amp enough to tame them?

Crossover specs:

4x6 built in passive crossover:
- 6dB/Oct. LPF & -12dB/Oct. HPF

Amp built in crossover:
LPF/HPF (Front/Rear Independent)

If any more information is needed, just ask. I will be more than happy to give it up.
Thanks guys. - Charles -

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 436
those x-overs will work out fine for you.

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 10
Thanks James. You guys have been a real help. So, I guess I will finally go get started. Later.
- Charles -
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us