Please help me decide on a subwoofer(s) . . . I thought I had my mind made up . . .

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
Hey Everyone,

My stereo was recently stolen, and it is time to replace it.

I used to have the following:

- Alpine CDA-9835
- Alpine MRD-M301
- Alpine SWR-1041D

I just ordered the following as it's replacement:

- Alpine CDA-9835
- Alpine MRD-M1001
- Alpine SWX-1242D

But now I am having second thoughts. Maybe I should be looking at two 500W RMS 12" subs to pair with the MRD-M1001 instead of the single Type X? I have always had Alpine stuff, but I am open to suggestions.

Can you guys list off some good 500W RMS subs that I should consider? The price of the two 500W RMS subs would preferentially be close to the price of one Type X sub (I am getting it for $240US + shipping on Ebay).

My money order hasn't reached the vendor yet, so I can still change my order.

They have a pair of Diamond Audio CM312D4s (500W RMS each) for $179.99US + shipping, but Ia m not too familiar with that brand.

I am looking for some good bump, but I don't want to sacrifice SQL too much. My car is a 1999 VW Passat.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Bryan

BabyBrock
Unregistered guest
Diamond is a good brand, but very sq oriented...decent spl though. Try it 180.00 a each is a pretty good deal.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 69

The $180 is for a pair (2) Diamond Audio CM312D4 subs. I can't find the Diamond Audio website for some strange reason . . . I am guessing that these are Diamond Audio's entry level subs?

Are there any other sugestions? I am open to any brand of sub. I would just like a pair of subs that would go well with the MRD-M1001 100W RMS amplifier.

Suggestions please!

Bryan

Username: Baasic

Michigan US

Post Number: 5
How about 2 15" kicker competions? The new 05 model looks sweet! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58035%26item%3D5748168144 %26%26 They are capable of handling your amp too!

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 70
15" is getting too big for my tastes . . . I woudl prefer two 12" subs or possibly 2 10" subs that handle about 500W RMS each.

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 536
your setup sounds good. i would just stick with it.

Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 3
GO WITH TWO OF THE NEW ECLIPSE ALUMINUM 12'S THEY ARE VERY VERY INCREDIBLE SOUNDING SUBS AND THEY HAVE CRAZY SPL. I GOT TWO OF THEM FOR 400 BUCKS OFF WWW.WOOFERSETC.COM AND THEY HIT CLEAN AND HARD AS HELL. IF YOU WANT GOOD SOUND QUALITY AND SPL GO WITH THE NEW ECLIPSE ALUMINUM 12'S

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 71
So you think the Single 12" type X setup is better than getting 2 500W 12" subs? I just thought I cuold get some more volume by adding another sub. I don't want to decrease the SQL too much though . . .

The Type X is to be installed in a custom slot ported box.

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 331
I think your set-up is fine but if anything i would get a ID max 12 over the type X. But again thats my opinion.

Post Number: 4
Go with the 12 inch eclipse aluminum woofer. Model # SW7124-T2 they are great subs i think that they are just as loud if not louder than the JL W6v2's but their like 200 bucks cheaper. Good price, great SQ & SPL. Go with the eclipse aluminums i got two of them in a custom slot ported enclosure and WOW they are Very loud. Just make sure that they get the right amount of cubic feet i think they recommend like 1.5 feet. But yea just get the box tuned and built for those subs like i did and you wont regret it.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 72
Thanks James,

I was looking at the IDMAX as well . . however, it is $50 more than the Type X (I am trying to stay in budget). Is there any particular advantages of the IDMAX over the Type X that would make it worth the extra $50? Specwise, the subs are very similar . . . however, I do understand that there can be drastic differences between brands.

Thanks,
Bryan

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 333
well I have heard 1 ID max 12 before and it was extremely nice. I have never heard the type X but I do remember a thread when someone had them both and they said they were much happier with the ID max. I am sure you will be happy with either they are both great subs but I have a feeling you would notice a difference between the two. Image dynamics is a great company there arnt to many people who will say otherwise. If you have a budget stick to it but if you could afford the extra $50 then I would have to say do it. As far a s the eclipse alum's go I would recomend a ID max over them anyday. Again nothing against eclipse they are great but the alum's just dont compare with the ID max maybe the IDQ v2. thats my opinion.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 73
Does anyone else have any opinions on the Eclipse Subs mentioned? Model # SW7124-T2

A pair of these cost about $40 more than one 12" Type X.

Thanks,
Byran

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 74
Thanks again James,

I am sure that the IDMax is beter than the Type X, but I don't think I want to spend the exta $50 on it. The Alpine should be good enough for me.

Right now, my big question is whether I should stick with one high-powered 1000W 12" Type X, or instead get two lowered powered 500W 12" subs (such as two Eclipse SW7124-T4's previously mentioned).

Do you suggest that I stay with the single 12"? Or are there good 500W RMS 12" subs that you can recommend for about the same price as one Type X?

Thanks,
Bryan

Anonymous

cm3 is entry level sub then u have mk subs and then mkII aluminum and then so on. maybe u should check out adire or stick with the subs ur getting.

Bronze Member
Username: Businessboy

Post Number: 96
i have the same headunit and the same amp - mine was recently replaced after my stuff was nicked. - however i went for a 15" L7 kicker - in a custom made 4 foot sealed box. isnt loud enough for me and the sq isnt too great. i should have gone for 1 x.x.x!

great amp tho eh! - mrd1001

Post Number: 6
I got two of the eclipse aluminums in a ported box tuned to perfection and its loud as hell man and it sounds great its like a kick in the back the bass is so loud. Id go with the two eclipse aluminum 12's if their only 40 bucks more than only one type X. Dont worry i got emm and i love emm. Loud and Obnoxious

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 364
I swear Dankman has 6 post's and every single one is trying to push Eclipse Alum's.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 75
Heheheh :P He must either really like them, or work/sell them :P

I thkn I am just going to stay with the single Type X now. Hopefully it is loud enough with just one speaker.

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3124
The two Eclipse Aluminum 12s would be louder than the single Alpine 12". Sheer displacement advantage, and Aluminums are quite capable of getting loud. They're a driver designed to work well in vented enclosures. If I were to go with the single 12", IMO the ID Max edges the Alpine as well, in SPL and SQ. Just my opinion though.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 77
Yeah, the IDMax is probably better than the Alpine, but I have already ordered the Alpine and it would be a bit of a hassel to change the order. Plus, the IDMax costs $50 more anyways, and I wanted to stayin budget.

I am sure that the single Type X 12" should sound good and be loud enough . . .

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 411
yeah it should make you happy.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 78
Now the next question is, how do I prevent my stereo being stolen again? I have no choice but to park in this stupid unprotected lot :-(

I have heard of another guy with an older Accord who has had 5 breakins in 5 months! Even after stripping his car of anything of value, adding an alarm, and using "the club", they STILL broke into his car! They ended up even stealing his floormats, disabling his alarm, cutting off his "club", and taking the car for a joyride, bringing it back damaged.

This is a public (government-owned) transit parking lot (for a commuter train) and it really pis*es me off that they don't increase security. They don't even have video cameras :-( I am going to complain and complain and complain until they do something about it.

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 456
if it were me I would be looking for a $200 car somewhere just to drive back and forth that no one would want to steal. That sounds pretty SHI%^Y man. I hope they start listening to you about beefing up security but in gov't lots nothing ever seems to get done. Best of luck to ya man.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 394
Just wait in your car late at night, and hide so people don't see you in it. When you notice somebody doing crap to your car, or other cars in the lot, tazer their @ss or something. Might teach them a lesson. I've actually heard of some1 doing that, but they had a gun instead.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 469
yeah I wouldnt recomend that its just asking for trouble.

Unregistered guest
yo whats up everyone i just bought a Pioneer 760W x 1 Bridgeable Amplifier and i need to know what type of 10's that would sound nice with this amp. i've been lookin at the sony XS-L101P5 with 300 RMS. i want to get two of them but is my amp powerful enough 2 push these?? And also can i bridge my amp to both subs because that'll have more power? i need help before i spend my money.

Thanx

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 373
Just guessing, did you git that at wall-mart? Don't git sony, they aren't good at all!
Post the spec's of your amp.

Unregistered guest
what up
Nah i havent bought any subs yet but i was gonna get mine off of Ebay or something like that. but here are the specs for my amp:

Product Details
Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year
Continuous Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) 125W x 2
Continuous Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) 190W x 2
Continuous Watts Bridged 380
Max Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms) 250W x 2
Max Power Watts per Channel (2 Ohms) 380W x 2
Max Power Watts per Channel (4 Ohms Bridged) 760
Number of Channels 2
Crossover Yes
1 Ohm Stable No
Amplifier Class and Type Class AB
Tri-Mode Yes
High-Pass Filter No
Low-Pass Filter Yes
Line-Level Input Yes
Speaker-Level Input Yes
Crossover Frequency Range LPF 80 Hz, -12dB/Oct
Bass Boost No
Passthrough No
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 100 dB
Fan Cooled No
Bridgeable Yes

i hope that helps. and what is "tri mode"?. Just to let you kno i have a dual band pass box. i dont kno if that makes a difference.
Thanx

Username: Nieds51

Post Number: 6
hey, i have 2 Audiobahn AW1208T 12's which are 1500w rms and 3000w max, when there broke in and with the right setup and box theres no other system that can beat it, i have had great luck with audiobahn, not ne do they sound good, they look good 2, if u wanna spend a little more money go with audiobahn

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 522
No other system that can beat it?.........RRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT!

Post Number: 7
powering my subs i have 3 A8000T audiobahn amps pushin 1600x1 at 1 ohn each, with monster wiring all around, after a week of breaking in the subs i cranked it and it shattered the backwindow in my Cavi, after that i dynomated my drunk and doors...(recomend 2 stay away from unless u no what ur doing), i never thought that dynomat would help......its a must if u have a monster system, or even if u want to improve SQ

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 524
well that sounds good I am glad you are happy with it but its still Audiobahn.

Post Number: 8
whats so rong with audiobahn????, when i had a 15 and blew it to heck they replaced it within 2 weeks....great service.....whats so great with eclipse??? look at the watts and db's...89?? 87??....my audiobahns are what?? 96.7???

Anonymous

Not taking away from any mentioned above, but have you looked at the new Alpine Type-R's. They're based on the Type-X and rated at 500W RMS now. I do prefer the Type-R over the Aluminums, just personal preference.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 530
yeah but why did you blow it to heck? I have had 3 jl audio 10w6's for 9 years and they still slam to this day you want to know why? because they make a damn good product. They are so quick to replace because they are used to doing it. Ohh and those DB's are with 1 watt at 1meter that means nothing when it comes to full power in your car and how it is set-up. Audiobahn could not wipe Eclipse's Butt.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 405
I have 8 Audiobahn flame q's and 8 pyramid amps running to them, with a 100 farad cap. The subs are in plywood boxes, all one single box, and it gets really loud, but doesn't sound quite as good as I want it too. Don't know why. I think I might get another 100 farad cap, maybe I don't have enough power to the subs. My lights also dim out almost completely on hits even when I'm driving, and it's a major distraction. Should I get another battery, or will the 2nd 100 farad cap take care of that? Sometimes thick smoke comes out the back of my car too, but I think it's just the subs warming up, not sure though. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3159
"look at the watts and db's...89?? 87??....my audiobahns are what?? 96.7???"
Specs lie. Does Audiobahn give specifics of how it was measured? Nope. Lots of companies cheat and stick a subwoofer in a car to do that test (subs can gain 12db in a car), some don't use a true 1W/1M test, some use 2.83V. NO normal sized subwoofer will have a sensitivity of 96.3 db PERIOD, the only thing that will be that sensitive with 1 watt is a compression horn.

"after a week of breaking in the subs i cranked it and it shattered the backwindow in my Cavi"
More attributed to a cheap car than a strong sub.

"whats so great with eclipse???"
15" Titanium Pro, it can spank any Audiobahn ever created. Just the 2 15" Tis I had hit consistent 150s. They're also well built, Audiobahn is very shaky products and poorly made. They're also extremely inefficient, hence nearly every sub they make being over 1,000W RMS, but you don't see them a lot in SPL comps, do you? There's a reason for that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us