Just Bored Part duex

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 531
i wish there was more happenin on this forum right now. hey what do you guys think of a brahma12 in a 4.2 cubic foot box with a 6.75x12 in. vent tuned to 40 hertz would sound? i need a bigger amp for it. i have one that says that is doing 800watts but i very much doubt that because i hooked it up to a 10 and it sounded a little louder then when i hooked up my mrp-t220 to it. it does well and i got a great deal on it from jeff. hes a good kid. i think i need about 900 to 1200 watts to it. the amp i have on it doesnt even make it come near its xmax. even at 30 hertz or even 25. my power acoustik amp seemed to push it harder and it was only doin 375 to 400 watts. oh well....i got it metered and the meter only said i gained 1 db.:-( i think im going to build another box and tune it to 50 to60 hertz and then i should gain some dbs:-) oh well tell me what is on you mind if you read this and find yourself bored

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 373
Sounds cool. I just wish I had a Brahma 12 to play with, :-(

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1040
what is it tuned to now? which way is it facing? what type of car? what is the bass boost centered at 40 or 45 hz? what size box? Is the box sealed or ported if ported what port tune? (ported I assume) You could also do my sealed adjustable ported box and do in car testing. Bandpass is also an option. I have a program to help with that. If you wanted to make it louder you could add an epic 150 it has a built in spl meter and volt meter ($300 in stores as low as $200 online) My buddies phoenix gold bass cube (same less the meters $130 on ebay) adds about 3 db maybe more. It boosts your best hit frequency just like the epic 150. You could also go another step further while doing in car testing and measure the ohms resistance at the coils during a given frequency using a test tone cd which you could make yourself on your pc with a cd burner. I have the program link but havent used it. In theory you could find the most effiecient use of power. (less ohm equals more power id assume) Something i wanted to experiment with. Also I still want to build an adjustable airspace box and sealed and ported like the one I have now. Im just looking for someone to try it. I have no tools and live in an apartment building too noisy even if I had the tools.

There bored part duex lol

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 540
well if you give me the exact specs on your box i can try to build it for you.(i mean the size of every stinkin board) the box i have right now is the 4.2 cu. ft box thats tuned to around 40htz.( ithnk i dont know the calculations on finding that) it is faced with the sub facing the front of my car. i gained 6 dbs turning it that way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1041
hmm 6 db forward thats good let me know the port length and inner diameter and ill let you know the tune. Also is your amp boosting at 40 hz or 45? ive found that adjusting that and the amp gain right made a 3 db increase with my cousin kicker comp entry level...i used a spl meter from radio shack to measure ...it hits about 127 db with 400 watt profile amp speakers only rated 150 it takes it all day granted i know the 400 isnt true power but it does have a 40 amp fuse

Gold Member

Post Number: 1042
that was a 12 ported 3.60 cf ported to 39 hz

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 542
im not sure what my amp is boosting at. how exactly do i go about finding that out? im still not a pro at this stuff :-( my vent length is 6.75x12 and is 17 inches deep. my box is internally 22.5 deep...34 across(at the back side) and 12in. tall. all internal measurements. my amp right now is an audiobahn 8002t. great price and great seller(jeff L) it just doesnt seem to be putting out anything near 800 watts at 4 ohms

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 543
this is slot vented design.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 547
sh1t can you also give me the formula you use to calculate vent tuning? and tell me more about hoe to get more out of my amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1043
you could also experiment with putting poly fill in 2 lbs worth (20% boost in box size and lower tune as a result by adding that) and test it then you could also stick something inside the box without the insulation and make the cubic feet smaller that way raising the tune as a result as well by doing that. (testing it that way also) If you dont have a meter then let you ear be a guide. Use a moderate volume level bottom line cosistency (as much as possible) when testing is what were after

Gold Member

Post Number: 1044
i have program links to help you but getting ready to enter poker tournament online ill post them tomorrow as well as any other ideas i have to help you

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 548
sounds good. pokher in the front...liquher in the back

Gold Member

Post Number: 1045
your box volume internal comes to 5.31 cubic feet minus say random .20 for speaker 5.10 cubic feet brings you to a 37.5 hz tune with those vent measurements

you can use the port calculator on audiobahns website like i did if you want to do slot or round ports again on another box. I cant find anything about your amp conerning the bass boost look through the manual if you have it but your tune should be ok. Id say run some test tones through the sub one at a time and see which is loudest. Then we can experiment further. Do this with bass boost off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
ps.. do not play frequency below your 37 hz tune.

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 551
sounds good. ya it seemed that when i played test tones that it was loudest around 40 hertz thats why i assumed that it was 40. its a massive box! it gets low. i had a box before it that was 1.8 cubic feet tuned to 43 hertz and this new box is only 1 db louder. my amp shutdown on me last night and i cant figure out why. working good and then just went into protection mode. trying to figure it out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1047
could be low voltage or heat build up causing it to shut down also this box being 1 db louder was that on your old amp id bet yes? If so this new amp producing more power could be the reason for the 1 bd increase (double power equals 3 db increase) . Also im reminded that when we tested my cousins 12 kicker entry level and went from a 1.70 cf box sealed to 3.60 cf ported it was 2 db less at the same amp settings. The only advantage to the larger ported box was that it played alot cleaner and played frequencies it couldnt play at all before. So if you lower the box volume id bet youd see and increase in spl and it would give you more efficiency at higher frequencies but id go to a box size that taylored to your desired tune frequency (yes an enclosure does have its own tuning apart from the port tune)

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 553
yeah ive thought about building another box for just competing. im going to tune it higher and maybe bring the volume down to 3.0 cubic feet. and get another amp. as for mine right now i think it is because of my voltage problem. i love the way my box sounds right now so i think ill keep in the box and just build another box for comps. how high of a freq do you think i should go? 50?

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 128
how high can you go?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 560
very very high, there are a lot of freq.s

Gold Member

Post Number: 1048
why dont you try putting something inside the box that will lower the box size temporarily like a book and see what kinda results you get just remember that as your box size goes down your port tune goes up so watch how low you go. If you want to build for spl we can do my adjustable port box or maybe do a bandpass box thats where i feel youd make the most spl but its up to you

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
between 50 to 65 hz is usually the best frequency for the car

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 565
i not too sure i would like a bandpass, eventhough they get loud i dont think they play clean enough. if you would hit me up with that design for your adjustable one i will be glad to build it when i get the money. mdf and the home depot are taking all my money.lol. this just in i blew my amp.:-( im getting another one soon though.) i was running it nominal bridged at 4 ohms, i just dont think it was up to handling my brahm brahm.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 136
yea your right...every post is pushing those subs lol...is there any chance either of you guys could give me dimensions on a sealed pox for a 10 inch eclipse al lol model number 88100...i tried to use winISD...but it confused the poo out of me

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 567
14 wide
12.5 tall
13 deep thats outer deminsions which will give you 1.31 cu ft. this is if you use 3/4 mdf.
11x12.5 =baffle
11x12.5=back side
11x11.5=side piece
11x11.5=side piece
13x14=top
13x14=bottom.
the way i make boxes is that everything fits inside the top and bottom pieces.
this will give a inner diminsion of .91 cu. feet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1050
sorry to hear you blew the amp. I was going to tell you if you keep playing it hot or if it continously shuts off you could blow it. what ohms are the coils on that brahma? Also dont throw that amp out get it fixed. Also if you no anyone with a blown amp id be intrested for an amp casing for a project idea.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 138
hunter...im guessing thats inches lol im pretty retarded about this stuff lol....but is it cool to just build a square box or what not i thought someone said it can cause cancellation problems and stuff...what do you think....can i just add like 2 inches to the bottom or take 2 off the top or 1 of the top and 1 added to the bottom lol...and sean i have an old amp that caught on fire with the most bad a&& looking case i have ever seen on an amp if you want it...it looks tight as hell i wish i could get it working again lol...if i can get it working would you tell me lol...or if i cant its yours free if you can just have it shipped to you....thanks peace

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 568
well sh!t sean, if you would have told me sooner i could have given you all 4 of my blown amps but i sold them on sounddomain. as far as running it while it is hot, im still fairly new to this but not that new. gain was set properly and was a 4 ohm load. i think that is was going to go out soon anyway. the coils on my brahma are dual 2. wierd to a 4 ohm load. i wish i could get my amps fixed but there is no place near me that will fix them, and it would be worth more then the amp.
yo, subfanatic, a square bos will probably work fine...just build it and tell us what you think.you could just make everyside 12 outer. just make sure to do inner calculations, when cuttinfg then wood, or it will come out wrong.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 140
ok cool....but see the sub wont fit on that baffle though....can i just add 2 inches to the whole thing...will that be fine?

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 584
why wont it fit on that baffle? i have my 12 brahma on a 12in baffle. it might be the way i build boxes though, the baffle will be in between the top and bottom, so you would add another 1.5 inches to the heighth. is that how you build them, or im i the only one. tell me how youguys go about build your boxes

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 585
but if you do add 2in. it will be fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
hey sub fanatic do you no the measurements of the amp or have a link that has pictures of the amp i mean i do want a amp shell that is nice looking ....id like to get an audiobahn one for the chrome case....no hint to you hunter lol (4 amps man hunter not good whats goin on there?)

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 143
haha....yea its chrome...it could use some shining up and ill get the dimensions for you as soon as i get home tom im at school today and then i work all night then BOWLING lol ill get them for you tom

Gold Member

Post Number: 1052
thanks man i appreciate it. Also could you let me know what company and model the amp is so i can get a look at her.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 144
ummm...its a Usa USA amp drive serious 150rms i think....its got a blue upside down triangle with a chrome backround...looks tight..i think thats what is says on it

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 592
no idea. im give to my brahma and it spits out the bones. 2 were given to me though, my lightning audio one and my alpine.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 152
ok hunter thanks alot for the measurements but im going to add either 1 or 2 inches to every board and stuff lol.....also...what do i use to nail it all...just nails...wood glue...what lol

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 594
deff. use wood glue. it will be stronger then the wood when it dries. nails do work but i use screws. i lil harder but not much. you just have to make sure that you predrill pilot holes and they are straight. i like to use 1 5/8 dry wall screws, or normal ones. i fyou get desperate i can build you a box, for like 20 bucks+shipping. i wont carpet it though. its exspensive. justdouble check all your measurements to make shure that the internal meas. line up correctly. and i use liquid nail to seal the inside of the box. if you do that just make sure you dont put your sub in it for at least 12hrs. if it has a foam surrounding, and it needs to dry properly. sounds good let me know how it turns out.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 154
ok im building the box today...huynter if it doenst work out i will most likely just have you build it lol....wish me luck...thanks sooo much guysd

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 600
good luck my friend. if you need have the depot cut the wood.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 155
ok i cut out all the wood and it actually fits great lol...its awesome...tom morning im susing some big screws wood glue and liqiud nails to seal it...is there anything i should put inside of the box like insullation? lol...also ok its a dvc and tom i have to cut out the sub hole and and little hole in the back for speaker wire adapter type thing...u know...whatever its called lol...what is its name by the way and where can i buy these i have 1 but i wanna buy a new one...so my question is this...its a DVC sub and i wanna know if i should like put two of those little speakerwire adapter thingy's in and put 2 sets of wires running to that and then each one running to my 2 channel amp or should i just attach a black to red and then take a black and red to the adapter thingy and then run the amp bridged or should i run both sets of wires to one adapter thingy and like just twist them together and then when it comes out the other side make it bridged...my amp is 2 ohm stable and i am just wondering what willmake the sub sound the absolute best lol...thanks i dont udnerstnad the wiring...thank you

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 602
yo, subfanantic, use shorter screw and make SURE you PREDRILL the holes for the screws and they are straight or you will make the wood bubble or worse split the wood. 1 5/8 screws is perfect. as for 2 terminals aka black and red thingys. that is your choice. the only reasin i would run to is if you wanted to run an amp to each coil, if not 1 term would be fine. tell us how it goes and how it sounds

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 157
i think im going to put 2 in just in case i want to change my mind lol....but i want to run each coil to a seperate part of the amp u know..will that sound good for a 2 channel amp

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 603
that will work

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 161
hunter i might have to take you up on that offer of the box....i built mine and it sucks...the sub is weak...its got huge xmax but doesnt hit has hard i expected....so how much would shipping be and would you build it to the right specifications of a ported box?....also...when me n my friend hooked it up it blew the fuses on my amp right away...what should i do about that...any other tips

Silver Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 607
well it might be the way you wired it, with the coil to each channel. but im not sure if you could please email me at hunterw86@yahoo.com and give me the specs and everything then we will be in business. sound good. now keep in mind im still very new to this stuff to, so the box wont be perfect, but i will do my best. and i will not charge a lot of money for it since shipping will be a little bit.:-) i will also need your zipcode. sounds good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us