Amp gitting warm

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 240
I have the Rockford P8002, it is the new one! It has the remote bass nob and when I turn the nob, the amp get's really warm. It has never overheated, but it get's uncomfortable to tutc!
I have the amp bridged to 800 watt's at 4 ohm's, is this normal?
I can't use the remote bass with out gitting scared it is going to damage my amp!

Username: Rsxs

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 4
depends on what the amp can handle.. what are the specs?

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 244
That's the thing, the amp will put out 800 rms to 1 sub at 4ohm's.
I have 2 4 ohm dvc wired to 2 ohm's each, so the amp has a ohm load of 4 ohm's!

Bronze Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 54
Most Rockford amps will run hotter than other amps. When the bass knob is turned up it increases the bass. Low bass notes take a lot of power to play. If you have a 4-gauge wire and 150-amp fuse you should be ok. Where do you have your gains set. How many subs do you have on it and how are they wired. I you don't go under 4ohms bridged it should not hurt the amp.
» 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
» 400 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
» 800 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
» stereo or bridged mono output
» 4-ohm stable in bridged mode

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 247
I have 2 subs, each are wired to 2 ohm's. I haven't checked the gane's, it was instoled at a shop, so I figured they set it all?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1245
Taylor17, just how hot is hot to you? Is it burning hot or just hot like hot water? What kind of volume level are you using? If the amp gets hot with the volume set at 1/2 or 1/4, then it's not a very good sign. It almost sounds like a Sony amp. Those suckers run hot even with no load!
If you have a DMM, measure your speakers to see if it's really 4ohms total. You did say you wired each sub so that it's 2ohms right? Did you then wire them in series to get 4ohms?
Try this for starter. Instead of using the amp bridged, connect each sub to separate channel. That'll still give you 800W since each sub is 2ohms. Now if the amp still runs very hot, then assuming the amp is still under warranty, run it till it dies. At least you'll be able to get a replacement.
Most of the amps that I dealt with ran cool to semi hot. The only time when it got hot like a stove was when I went below the recommended ohms. I fixed the problem by installing a custom fan on the amp.
Anyhow, try that and see.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
I'm not there so I don't know what they did. But you amp put out 400 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms so that's how they might have wired them so each sub gets 400 watts from each channel.If they did and you bridge them you need to change the way they are wired. Here is how they should be wired bridge to pull a 4ohms load.This will still give you 400 watts each sub

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
How did they have it hooked up, one sub to each channel or bridged. If they had it hooked up one sub @2ohms to each channel and then you bridged it to the amp Now the amp is trying to pull under 4ohms that might be way it's getting hot.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 254
I think bridged. Ya that is how they wired them, each sub to 2 ohm's.
Hot is wear when I tuch the side of the amp, you can only hold your fingers there for like 10 second's!
Sorry I can't do any wiring my self!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 255
When I have the nob all the way off, it runs fine, but when you turn it up that is when I start's to git hot. Just wondering if this is normal.
I have the system cranking to a little over half way!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1249
I wouldn't worry too much about it since it's not Sony. You'll be fine. Don't lose your invoice though. If your amp blows cause of the installation, you can always go after them. Amps are meant to be run warm to hot. When your amps get so hot that you can't touch it for 1 sec, then start worrying.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 256
That's my worry, I bought it off the internet, and I think it only had an 30 day, or 90 day worenty!
When I notice it gitting hot, I turn it down! Could playing it that loud, and I usually listen to it for long period's of time be a reason as well! Long time is 30 minutes at least!
Thank's, you don't know how much I apreatiate it!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 257
Also could the location of it play a part in it gitting warm?
It is behind the back seat of an extended cab, so there is almost no air flow!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1250
Okay that is not a good location for a hot amp. If you can, try installing a cpu fan or something near the amp. If not, at least give the amp some space. I didn't know it was installed there. Most people have it in the trunk. You might want to do some searching on the net for best locations to install in a truck. I've seen some people that made custom back panels to install the amp.
Anyways, try and give a little gap/space for the amp to "breathe" and you'll be fine.
You will know when an amp is getting too hot, it'll shut down.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 260
Ok thank's!
Ya, if someone isn't sitting in the back, I usually flip the seat down. I am just woried about the summer! Here in Texas, it git's up to like 110 degrees F. So I am hoping it doesn't overheat all the time when summer git's here!

Also, about installing a cooling fan.
Could I have one put in, sense the back of the seat is aginst the amp, and would it help?
Thank's agan. Now I'm not near as worried!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1252
Anything is better than nothing. So if you can install a fan then do it.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 287
Could you give me some pointers on what kind, type, thing's like that. Any shop will install a fan, won't they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1253
I've seen a fan blower from a surplus store. It takes air from a tube opening and blows it out the other end. Something like that would work great if you can somehow make it work in your truck. It would take fresh/cooler air from the cabin and suck it into the amp's area.
If you don't have access to that, you can buy 2 small fans and install them inside a tube. Then either cut a hole or have it go around any space till it's near the amp. I am sure you can use some imagination to get air to the amp.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 292
I was looking at cooling fan's on
www.hifisoundconnection.com
would any of them work with my amp? I went to car accessories, then clicked on cooling fan's, they only have like 4 or 5 of them, but they are all like 30 buck's, so I don't have to spind a lot of money.
Will they work with my seat right up on the amp too?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Just a thought. I had a amp that I made a box to fit over it then I made a channel on the inside and put a fan on one end to draw the wind through it. It worked and looked great but was a little hard to build. What Isaac said would be easier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1254
That fan looks pretty cool. If you can fit it in your truck then go for it. Most people buy compter cpu fan and design something with it. That's what I did too.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3105
That amp will get hot the more you use that remote bass control. You're likely driving the amp near it's limits if you turn that up too high. It's simply an equalizer centered at 45 hz, and it adjusts up to 18db of output around that frequency. It also makes the bass a little more one-notish. Remember that every 3db increase requires twice the power, so even if you have the volume around halfway or a little over (assuming the gain were set correctly), you can still easily drive the amp into clipping with that bass control. Like Isaac said, amps do get hot when used. If you want the system to get loud, the best way to do it is to set the gain of the amp correctly and use the volume of the head unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us