3 10" xplods to a 2 channel 1000watt amp? please help

Username: Mckratz

Post Number: 1
I've been looking forever online to figure out the right way to hook this up. can someone please lend me your knowledge?

Post Number: 2
I know xplods suck but two were free and i had a box for three 10s already.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
how many ohms can the amp handle at the lowest into 2 channels? hmm and will the amp go into mono or single channel? if so at what ohm will it handle?
let me know those 2 answers and ill give you a wiring set up for the 3 subs.
jay

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1133
please supply make/model of amp (or at least how many channels the amp is, and the RMS power output at 2 or 4 Ohms.)
How many coils does each sub have, and how many Ohms per coil?
given that, we can suggest a way to wire the subs.

Post Number: 3
Hi, thanks for responding, the amps a legacy la770, 2 channel, 1000 watt, 2 ohm stereo stable, bridgeable into 4 ohms. the subs are 4 ohm single voice coil, 300 watt continuous. thats all i really know about it.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
well the only thing i can think of is to give you a six ohm load and bridge the amp mono to use what you got and since it can handle 4 ohms bridged then 6 will be no problem for it but there will be a loss in power than you would have into 4 ohms.
however first take 2 of the subs and wire them in series for a total 8 ohm load which you would do by connecting a wire to one positive terminal then attaching the negative terminal of that sub to the positive of the other sub it will be paired up with and now you will have a free terminal on you second sub and attach a wire to it if you do that properly you will have one positive wire and one negative wire that is free on each sub and they will be connected to each other from neg to pos.
now take your 3rd sub and attach a wire to each terminal...one to pos and one to neg.
once you have done that youre basically looking at one sub staying at 4 ohms and the paired ones are now 8 ohms.
take the pos or "free" wire from the pair and also the pos wire from the single sub and connect them together.
now do the same to the "free" neg wire of the pair and also the neg of the single sub and connect them to each other.
if youre still with me so far then you should have 3 subs all wired together but only 2 "free" wires to connect to the amp...one being a pos and one being a neg.
bridge your amp and connect them where they need to be on that amp and thats it.
i wish i coulda drew a diagram on here but you should be ok with these instructions.
now i have to say when you change the ohm load the power output changed roughly by a factor of 1.5 and ill try and assume it really does put out a true rms of 500 watts (since its max rated at 1000x1 at 2 ohms)
if you go into a 6 ohm load it should only put out about 350 watts into 6 ohms.
however in actuality just a word of warning since it only uses a 20 amp fuse and is max rated into a 2 ohm load and legacy is pyramid...i would say youll find your actual output rms mono of that amp should be around 150 watts rms mono (at 4 ohms) and into 6 ohms around 75 actual watts.
since you got 2 subs for free now might be a good time to take those savings and get a bigger amp and i even wish it were true but any amp in the 60-70 dollar range like the legacy la770 is cannot put out 1000 watts and i would stick with a name brand higher end amp that will make enough power to move those 3 subs and at a 6 ohm load.
mtx makes a good amp for a low price and i would say mtx for a name brand bargain product should be the lowest one would want to go. but i am very impressed with not their subs but they make good amps. im not trying to attack your amp (its not your fault these companies lie, i hate it too) but those companies (pyramid, pyle, legacy, lanzar, power acoustik, profile, boss, spl, soundstorm, thump, volfenhag, audiovox, jensen , audiobahn etc) really have a habit of stretching the numbers.
as a rule of thumb any of those brands whatever the wattage they claim you should use half but then again thats pushing it and i would further cut that number in half and that will 99% of the time be closer to the truth.
i know that will upset alot of ppl and i dont mean to all i can say is put a meter on them and you will see what the answer.
jay

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1147
honestly, your best bet is to sell or return the sony subs and legacy amp.
they are some of the poorest quality products made, and you would be much better off just buying a pair of good tens or twelves and a monoblock sub amp to drive them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us