Decent amp to handle 2 id maxes?

Bronzed Aussie
Unregistered guest
I have 2 Image Dynamics ID max 12s (dual 4 Ohm) subs. im looking at a good amp able to handle both. i was looking at the Soundstream VGA1600.2 amp so that i could run one off each channel at 2 ohms at 800W RMS. I understand the new soundstream stuff isn't like it yous'd to be but i have read the Van Gough Amplifier range was designed by one of their old engineers and that they are excellent. I am trying to avoid using a mono block amp @ 1 ohm because i would like clean power to the subs.

Does any one have any alternative amps in a simmilar price range ($300-$400 off e-bay) to suggest? (I am willing to consider a good 1 ohm stable mono block if they are SAFE at this resistance. Any expert opinions/ suggestions would be great.

Bronzed Aussie
Unregistered guest
Any takers??....

Jonathan, Glass???

By the way, found out the engineers name... Karl Cummings, if that means anything.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3104
$300-$400 bucks I'd recommend getting two JBL 600.1s or something similar. The ID Maxes will work very well off of 600-800 watts. Running that much power you'll need all the amplifier efficiency you can get.

Bronzed Aussie
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice on the JBL amps. Do you mean the GTO range?

Also does someone have an opinion regarding my soundstream question. The VGA1600.2 is rated at 2 x 800 watt RMS at 2 ohms. If this is the case, I would have thought this would be also be a good choice (assuming the good reports i've heard about these amps are true).

also for anyone that has thought this...yes i wish i bought the dual 2 ohm version, it would have made life much easier.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 356
thats why Jonathan said get two seperate amps. 1) because you will be able to run each at 2ohms and optimize each amps power, and 2)2-600 watt amps will be more efficiant then 1-1200 watt amp. 3) if you do 1 amp you only have the option of 1 or 4 ohm loads. Now that soundstream I dont believe is 1 ohm stable if I am wrong I am sorry. The other way you could go if you really only want one amp go with the JBL 1200.1 and run it at 1ohm it will give you 1200 watts.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3122
Yep. The JBL I was referring to was the P600.1, it's the older Power series, they're still found all over the place and are some of the cheapest good amps you'll find.

Bronzed Aussie
Unregistered guest
James - the soundstream VGA1600.2 amp is a TWO channel amplifier, not a monoblock. It is rated as
2 x 400w RMS @ 4 ohm (per channel)
2 x 800w RMS @ 2 ohm (per channel)
1 x 1600w RMS @ 4 ohm (bridged)

Therefore I thought if I wire each sub in a two ohm load, one to each channel I would get 800w to each sub and a total impedance to the amp of 2 ohm.

Bronzed Aussie
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have an opinion on the quality of these amps from experience?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us