Hey Glass,Jonathan,Isaac or anyone with knowledge?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 229
I was looking to build a box for my brahma 15. On the web site this is what it says. http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/BrahmaPowerHandling.pdf now I will be giving mine 600 watts rms from a PPI A600.2. What I came up with was a 5.05cu/ft box sealed. Is this correct? Because also on the website it says recomended sealed volume is 1.5-2.5 cu/ft and recomended ported is 2-3.5. So do I go by this chart and do a 5.05 cu/ft box sealed or not? Also what size box would I need to do a ported enclosure for this amount of power? Thanks for all the help.
James

Bronze Member
Username: Rob_brown

Post Number: 99
You need a new amp, there is no way 600 watts is going to power that sub.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 230
well glass had already told me that a brahma will reach full excursion with 600 watts in the rigt enclosure so thats what I am trying to find but thanks for the info.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 486
yes 600 watss will power it but in a much smaller box. running it in a 5.05 cu ft. box you will need all the power the brahma can handle. so around 1200 watts. you would need a like a 1.25 cu. ft box to run the brahma to its excursion. i mean sure you can give it 600watts in a 5 cu. ft box and it would take it no prob, but it will not reach its peak

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 487
5 cubic feet is massive! will that even fit in your ride?

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 232
yeah I have a jeep cherokee so that will fit. By the adire web-site it says the smaller the sealed box the more power you need and I thought it was the same way. Are you sure you are correct? I am pretty sure it is the other way around man. look at the link I posted above and you will see that it comes out to about 5cu/ft. Hey glass you there to help me out on this one man?

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 119
Smaller box= greatest power handling.
Bigger box= lower power handling.
IMO get a bigger amp or a different sub.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 237
no man I am gonna keep the amp that I got I really love the amp and it is recomended by many to be a very good amp so I think I am gonna stick with it. Why would I get a new amp when I have the space to build a box that would bring my brahma to full excursion with the power that I have? I dont need a new amp or a new sub I just need to know what size box I should use from someone who knows what they are talking about. now I still need the answer to my ? in my first post if anyone can help if not please dont post. thanks
James

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3075
Keep the amp definately. The Art series are some of the best amps ever made, and are by far the best amps PPI ever came out with. I'd stick with around 2.5-3 cu ft if you do a sealed box. You would push the Brahma close to full excursion that way, I won't really say it will do every bit of what it can with 600W, but it will do very well with it. Usually 800-900 watts gives good results with a sealed brahma, unless you're doing super-small boxes.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 240
thanks jonathan. Yeah I wasnt going to get rid of the amp or the sub. Thanks for the feedback. So 3cu/ft sealed? sounds good. What about ported or should I just stay away from that all together?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3078
Really, I'd lean toward 2.5 cu ft sealed. Best all around box size. For ported, 3.5 tuned to around 26-28 like Adire recommends will work well. You'll hit full excursion below tuning, the problem is the Art series amps don't have a subsonic filter and it's usually best to use one with a ported box. Of course, if you tune to 26 hz, you really won't have too many issues with the sub stressing itself by playing too low, most music doesn't even touch anything near 20 hz anyway, usually it's 30hz and up.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 243
alright then I think I will go with either one of them prob sealed. Will ported be like 3db's louder? what about a snailshell enclosure? thanks again Jonathan for the input.

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 121
Just interested to know where you got the info for a brahma only needing 600w to get full excursion in 2.5cuft?

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 359
James is right. The smaller the box, the more power handling. The larger the box, the less. 2.5 is kinda big for sealed, I think, so 600w should do it.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 273
yeah I talked to adira today and they said the exact same thing. Thanks Jonathan for the info and Joe you were also correct. Hey all the rest of you I understand you were trying to help but leave it up to the pro's to answer certain questions that are directed towards them not what you hear every day on this forum. But thanks for all the replies anyway.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3089
"Just interested to know where you got the info for a brahma only needing 600w to get full excursion in 2.5cuft?"
I didn't, I said it would reach close to it's capabilities. In a 3.5 cu ft ported, it would hit full excursion below tuning. 2.5 is pretty average for a 15" sealed box.

Anonymous

I don't have WinISD at work, so I can't double check. The 5cf box would allow it to reach max excursion with 600W. The 2.5cf box would allow you to get most of that power without any danger of frying the sub.

Just because your car has a redline, doesn't mean you should always drive it with the rpms up there.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3097
My guess would be that you'd need around 900 RMS to reach close to full excursion with a 2.5 sealed, but keep in mind that it's just a guess. 600W will push it well, but again, it won't reach full excursion. In a daily setup it would be plenty.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 285
yeah i hear ya. I think I am going to do a 4.0 cu/ft box sealed and see how it sounds.
James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us