Good not uber-expensive amp for Type X, search is down, plz answer.

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 334
Sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked before, but the ecoustics forum search is down right now. I'm deciding to go all Alpine to match my headunit and speakers, and I'm going with the dvc 4 ohm Type X. Now all I need is an amp. I know the best thing to do would to get the MRD-M1005 alpine amp, or an older one with the right rms wattage, but I can't bring my self to spend that much money on the amp. What would be a good affordable amp for the sub? I was thinking something Hifonics, JBL, MTX or Kicker.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 210
Are they 1000 watt's? If so the only amp I can think of at the moment is Hifonic's 1800D, that shouldn't be to pricy, or Mtx has an 1800 watt amp but I can't think of what it is called, somthing like the Mtx 1801D
maby they will work with your sub's. You will have to tell me what they sound like! I have been wanting to hear them for a long time:-)

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 335
Thanks Taylor. I think the MTX would be too much for the Type X, and yes the type x is 1,000 watts rms. The Hifonics looks like it would work. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Rhassler

Post Number: 58
i would look into the nine.1 amp by Elemental Designs. its 350$ and i've heard some good stuff about it.
1200 x 1 @1ohm
900 x 1 @ 2ohm
450 x 1 @ 4ohm

heres the sight,
http://www.edesignaudio.com/nine1_overview.htm

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 336
That would work really good also. I'd prolly want something I can get off ebay though. Any other ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
i have a question about ebay. say you buy an amp from a seller (not ebay store) is the item still under warenty if it breaks?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 337
It depends. I bought a sub off ebay once that did come with the warranty card you send in. It worked too. Most of the time I don't think they have warranty's, unless the seller offers one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
ooo ok thanks

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 338
Anybody else have amp suggestions.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 340
bump?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 341
?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 221
Most warrenties won't cover you putting the stuff in yourself, as far I know. They'll cover if the sub breaks as a quality issue, I believe, not you clipping it to death.
Also, over at woofersetc.com, they have an Orion 1200d for 459.99. A little over what I think you were aiming for, but a pretty decent amp anyway.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 342
Another question. The mtx 1501D is rated at 1000 watts rms @ 2 ohms, at 12 volts, and 1500 watts at 14.4 volts. This would probably be too much for the Type X wouldn't it? And I think I'm gonna go with the Hifonics 1500D. Might not be the best quality, but it's not absolute junk, and I can't find anything with a comparable price.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 343
Another question. The mtx 1501D is rated at 1000 watts rms @ 2 ohms, at 12 volts, and 1500 watts at 14.4 volts. This would probably be too much for the Type X wouldn't it? And I think I'm gonna go with the Hifonics 1500D. Might not be the best quality, but it's not absolute junk, and I can't find anything with a comparable price.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 344
Hold up. There are now Alpine MRD-M1001's on Ebay. Last time I checked there weren't any. For the extra hundred bucks I will definitely get that over the Hifonics.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 345
Still more questions. How large of a fuse would be on an 1000 watt rms amp. Also, how low could I go in meens of rms, and still not be greatly underpowering the Type X. Could I run 700-800 rms to it? Also, which RMS should I take into consideration more, the 12v or 14.4 volt. My point being, if the amp os 1000 watts rms at 12v, and then 1500 at 14.4 v, would I be overpowering the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 225
Look at the fuse size on your amp. If there's more than one fuse, add up the Amp sizes on the fuses. I couldn't tell you how to power the Type X's, I wouldn't know. 12v would matter if you were primarily powering your amps while the car was idling and I believe while the car is not on. You will be pushing the 14.4v while you are driving your car.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 346
I know Jake. That's not what I was asking. I don't have the amp yet, I just wondered how big the fuse WOULD be, so I nkow how large of a high-output alternator I should get. On my MTX 300 watt rms amp it has a 30 or 35 amp fuse I think. So I was figurin a 1000 watt rms amp shoudl have a 100 or so amp fuse. Do you think I would be good with a 160 amp alt? And I probably will be running the subs while I am driving around a lot, so I'm thinking I should go with something that is the max rms at 14.4 v, and would be a little less at idle.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdub_dub

Post Number: 36
watts divided by volts equals amps. thats how many amps your amplifier will draw at peak output
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us