Best Subs for $500

Bronze Member
Username: Drjones2k2

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 11
I have a 95 accord and I am in the process of buying a system for my car, and I could use some advise. I do not wan't something with an extreme ammount of wattage. I need 2 subs, prefibly 15's, with a max peak power of 600(absolute max). I have $500.00 max to spend on both subs, not including the amp. My friend had 2 JL Wo 15's and they were really loud, so I need something at least as loud as them.(preferablely louder). I would like something that absoultly slams!!! I have looked at Alpine Type R 15's, but never heard them. Any comments? I want something that could be heard across my collage campus if desigered, and also verry clean sounding subs. I am seeking comments, and oppinions from any experenced stereo guys. Thank You all for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 444
you could get 2 adire audio tempest. good stuff.
try this too. a new company and there stuff uses the xbl^2 motor too.
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Atlas%2015.htm

cheap price and high quality stuff

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 171
Ya also check out the Alpine type X's. I have kind of been wanting a pare of them lol

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 225
the alpine type r's will out do your buddy's w0's. The w0's are actually not a good sub at all. That has nothing to do with the other model subs from JL. The w3v2,w6v2,and w7's are great subs. In the right enclosure and decent power about 400/sub the alpine's should be plenty loud for you not to mention much louder then your buddy's car.
James

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3039
I wouldn't say the W0 isn't a good sub, it's just low level. SQ is pretty good, SPL isn't fantastic, but you can't expect much when you only have 125W to give a speaker. They do what they're intended to do.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 227
I would never recomend one when the w3v2 can be had for not much more$$$

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3041
I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of it, but it serves it's purpose. I'd definately recommend something like Shivas, Type Rs, Kappa Perfects, etc. in the price range of the W0s, but if you were limited to 125W RMS to power subs with, the W0s would do I guess.

Anonymous

I would go with the solo baric 12 or 15. They'll handle more than 600 but you can always upgrade your amp later. They're great subs. Good SQ and SPL.

Propaganda13
Unregistered guest
Type-R's are nice.
I've heard good things about Ascendant Audio, especially the Atlas. I haven't had time yet to get to their shop in Crystal Lake to hear them though. They did license the XBL stuff from Adire, and it sounds like they've done a lot with it. Not just Adire ripoffs.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 172
Solobaric's have good sq? Are you hard hearing? Compared to the R's and Jl, solobaric's are a joke!
On the other hand they are a good spl sub, they can handle a good amount of power and can get loud if you need them too!

Bronze Member
Username: Drjones2k2

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 12
Thank you all for responding so quickly. I think that I am going to go with the Type R's afterall!!! I just have one more quick question. I am going to go with the audiobahn A8000t amp to power the two of my 15's. Do I need a high powered alternator with that amp???

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 447
the atlas has a crazy wiring system. they are dual voice coils but they are different. one is 2 ohm and thinnner and the other is 4 ihm but is much thicker. they did this so you you could wire it to 3 different types of qts. it is crazy. i have a feeling that they are going to be an awesome company. i cant wait till they come out with the 4s and 6.5s with the xbl^2 tech. i think i might pick up an atlas here pretty soon.

Username: Americanbass

Post Number: 8
if i had 500 dollars to spend on subs it would def be the alpine type x's two 12's they would easily pound. as far as powering them i would suggest a crossfire 2000D running at 2 ohms u can get them from ebay for a good price
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us