Please help. my amp wont turn on!

Username: Nirvanafan22067

Post Number: 1
i just bought an audiobahn 4002t from circuit city the other day, got a really good price on it. &114 dollars so i had them install it, it was working great for a little while and i decided to turn up the gain about half way and then all of a sudden it just stopped working. we thought the amp was blown because it wasnt coming on at all, i took it back today and got a brand new one for free. i put it back in, and this one doesnt work either. when i first had it plugged in, the protection light came on. when i touch a wire to BATT and REM it will come on, so i thought there was a problem with the remote wire, so i ran a different remote wire straight from the fuse box to the amp, still no power. and now the protection light isnt even on. i tried running a wire with a 10a fuse from the battery to the amp and still wont turn on...what do you think it is....i wont be able to take my car back to c.c. until next week sometime.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1164
Hey Brandon, you should never play with the gain control. It is only used to match your HU's rca preout voltage. It is not a volume control. If set incorrectly, it will blow your amp.
As for testing your amp, use a DMM and test your power wires. See if you get 12v. Next, connect the power to your amp. Attach another wire to your pos wire and hook it up to the remote wire terminal on the amp. This WILL turn on your amp if it's okay. If it doesn't come on, then you either have no power on the wires or the amp is blown again.
You might want to check your fuses just in case.

Post Number: 2
ive already done all that... it comes on, fuses are fine. amp wont come on with remote wire

Gold Member

Post Number: 1167
Ok but does the amp power up if you connect the remote terminal with the pos wire?

Post Number: 3
ive plugged the remote wire in a bunch of different locations
and ive tried 3 different wires

Post Number: 4
yes the amp comes on when i connect the remote to pos

Post Number: 5
yes the amp comes on when i connect the remote to pos

Post Number: 6
the amp comes on when i connect remote to pos

Post Number: 7
woah....sorry about that....internet is slow tonight

Gold Member

Post Number: 1169
Okay then, most likely you could've damaged the remote power on the HU. The only thing that wire does is supply little current when the HU powers on. When your last amp blew, it could've blown the HU's remote power also.
I've seen it happen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1170
Okay then, most likely you could've damaged the remote power on the HU. The only thing that wire does is supply little current when the HU powers on. When your last amp blew, it could've blown the HU's remote power also.
I've seen it happen.
If you have DMM, measure the voltage on your remote power wire. That'll tell you whether it's dead or not.

Post Number: 8
i have a tester light, when i tested it it still had power, i plugged it into the fuse box and it still didnt work though

Gold Member

Post Number: 1172
You really need a DMM. You could have enough power to light up a bulb, but maybe not enough voltage to turn on the amp. 12v is required. So for some reason if your HU is supplying 8v or below, it might not be enough.
Since you said it powers on when you connect pos to the remote terminal, the amp is not at fault.

Post Number: 9
yeah, im taking it to c.c. tomorrow, but its kinda weird, i ran a straight cable from the battery to the remote on the amp and still nothing.

Post Number: 10
just wanted to take a shot at fixing it because i gotta work tomorrow and i wont be able to take my car to cc till about 3 then ill have to leave at 5

Gold Member

Post Number: 1175
Good luck. And for the future, be very careful with gain/level controls.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
yeah i know, my HU has a high pre out i think its pretty much matched, it was down all the way when i first hooked it up....i might just trade it in for an MTX since they dont need remote wires and i still have 30 days to return this one....but thanks for your help man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us