Very low soft 'thunder' bass..?

Craig's brother.
Unregistered guest
Hey guys.. what do u have to do to get that kinda bass? What kinda setup?
I've heard only a handfull of these out in the streets where i live and was very much impressed. The bass was really awesome, it shook the building windows' glass! and yet sounded pleasant without annoying the ears..nice soft thunder effect..waaay cool..i gotta gets me one of those..:-)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1080
Ok to get soft thundering bass, you need to have a powerful sub and an amp. The sound that you're talking about can be achieved by setting the bass crossover to around 40 - 50hz on the amp. Then raising the volume. You're basically amplifying the low soft frequencies. Those tend to sound pretty cool from a block away.

Craig's brother.
Unregistered guest
oh yeahhh..they sure do :-)
Isaac, off the top of ur head.. any suggestions for the sub and amp? What kinda Watts we talkin bout here?
Thanks for replying.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
Well from my experience, the low soft sounds eat up lot of power. Let's say you had 200W of reg bass, it'll pound the heck out of your car trunk and your ears. However, that same power used on low soft sound, might not shake as much nor make your hear pound, but it does drive your subs crazy.
If you had 2 500W rms subs in a tuned box and cranked it with 1000W amp, you'd get the results you're looking for.
Just remember, those super low sounds, you don't hear as much, but they travel pretty far.
Something to keep in mind, box design is very very important. You can have the best subs in the world but if it's put in a wrong sized box, they'll sound like $10 speakers.

Craig's brother.
Unregistered guest
Alrite..now we're cooking!
One last question..for this application: sealed, ported or bandpass?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
If you're looking for sound quality, sealed is better, for spl, ported then. Bandpass will depend on your configuration. For it to sound good, you'll need mid bass available in your car or else it'll sound sluggish.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 180
wouldnt ported be better over sealed if your lookin for that type of sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1109
Well I guess it'll depend on what kind of "sound" you're looking for. I prefer sealed box cause of limited space and SQ. If you want the loudest bass, SPL, then go ported.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3003
Ported boxes can have excellent SQ too, it's just that most people make them the wrong size and tune them way too high. A good sized 15" subwoofer (or two) ported would provide the sound you're after, tuned in the 28-32hz region IMO. Low tuned ported boxes have better SQ than higher tuned anyway, and you'll get more output down low and work the sub less (above tuning).

Craig's brother.
Unregistered guest
Kickass! Thanks for all the help guys!
You dudes rock! :-)
Now i'm off to do some intensive/exhaustive research on amps, subs and enclosures..heh heh.
Peace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us