Newbie amplifier question

Username: Jeze

Post Number: 1
I am thinking about purchasing either the Audiobah Alum12Q or the Kicker L7 subs.

The problem that I am having is, I noticed that the Audiobahn run at 6 ohm. Can I still run the subs at 1 ohm and if so what does this affect. Also, can an amp running at 1 ohm power more that one subwoofer.

I have it in my head that a mono amp at 1 ohm can only power one sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 50
A mono can power more than 1 sub, but it would be hard to run 2 subs at 1 ohm unless you wired them at .5 ohm's each. What amp are you looking at, and the audiobahn's are difficult sub's to match up with an amp becuse of there 6 ohm's. The Kicker's will be easer to get the right amount of power.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 171
well first of all a dual 6ohm sub can only be run at 3ohms or 12 ohms so with just one sub it isnt possable to show your amp a one ohm load. For your second ? you can run 50 subs off of a mono amp providing it has the power to power them and you run the voicecoils in a way that it would give you a 1ohm or more load and providing that your mono amp is stable at 1ohm which I am assuming it is or else why would you be inquiring about 1ohm loads. Your other options to get a 1ohm load are to buy two dual 6ohm subs and run them in parellel/parellel at 1.5ohms or get three of them and run the the same way at 1ohm.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 51
Man sorry about my spelling, and no the audiobahn can't be wired to 1 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 172
yes it can if you wire 3-dual 6ohm subs in parellel/parellel whalla you get a 1-ohm load my friend. Trust me man I had 3-jl10w6's and I could have run them at 4ohms series/parellel or 1ohm parellel/parellel.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 53
Ya that is true, but I was thinking of just 2 subs. My bad!

Username: Jeze

Post Number: 2
Well, I'm glad that's cleared up. From the information above, in terms of matching up the subs with an amp, I'm probably better of with the kickers. Those 1000 watts were attractive though.

What exactly does ohms mean. What is the difference between 4 ohms and 1 now that I am on this subject? I've searched google for an answer but I have nothing.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2967
It is an impedance (resistance) measurement. An ohm is the standard measurement of resistance, 4 ohms has higher resistance than 1 ohm, so 1 ohm allows more power to pass through.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 55
Ya take a 500 watt amp for example. At 1 ohm it will put out 500 watts, at 2 ohms it will put out 250 watts, and at 4 ohms it will put out 125 ohms.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 57
Ya take a 500 watt amp for example. At 1 ohm it will put out 500 watts, at 2 ohms it will put out 250 watts, and at 4 ohms it will put out 125 ohms.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 58
Sorry about that my computer jacked up on me. I also ment 125 watt's not ohms:-) I am getting tired!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us