BREAKIN in subs necesary?

Anonymous

i'm reading here that some people say breaking in your subs is good and others say is foolish and unnecesary? wich one is it? ,and does anyone know if a 15"x.x.x. needs to be broken in and for how long?[its saturday and they are not open(RE)]

Anonymous

i know everyone's tired of listening to these confusing -misleading breaking in questions ,but can some just answer my question please?

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 772
yes, break your subs in, play at about half volume for about a week, it'll prolong the life of your sub as well as allow it to work properly...trust...break it in...

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 161
yes it is necassary to break in a sub if you plan on having the sub for more than a couple of weeks. ANd yes a X.X.X has to be broken in. Depnds on the power really, but i'd say around 20hr's playing time at low volume.....maybe a bit more or less time. Trust me and know that breaking a sub is necassary i went threw many subs trying to impress my friends the day i got them installed but breaking in a sub is extremely important.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 428
ok then guys, explain to me why it is important.
also, be specific in what breaking in the subs means and what it physically does for the woofer.

i worked at mtx building woofers, i've been re-coning woofers for 15 years, i'm world champion in USACI, i'm the world record holder and state record holder in more than one class, and i have never not once broken in a sub, wow, i feel like an idiot, haha:0

but please..... explain why this is important in detail.........?

Anonymous

Yeah, the day I got my 2 RF Punch HX2s the guy at the car stereo shop cranked my system all the way up to set the gains and mess like that. They are still working fine.

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 163
For anon RF on some of there newer subs says directly on there box that they have a compliant linear spider which eliminates the need for a break-in period. And i think its neccassary becuase i bought an immortal not to long ago, running on an hifonics brutus 2200d and like a hourlater after not even playing them at full excursion they gave out, but lucky for me i bought 2 so i hooked the other one up, iwaws scared i was gon blow this one so i never played it pass half way, and after week by week i turned it up a little and it worked perfectly.then afte like 3 or 4 months that blew and i went on to the next sub. SO when i broke the sub in it lasted longer than the one i ujst cranked up. And all im sayin in my experience that the sub lasted longer when i broke it in. But if you really want to know if the X.X.X needs to be broken in exactly i guess youre going to have to wait and ask RE when they reopen.

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
i dont need to ask anyone, see...i'm smart enough to realize that the voice coils thermal ability will not increase after the spider gets a little softer.......i'm still waiting for someone to explain in detail.:-) what is it they think can be gained by burning in thier sub?, i'm still at a loss.

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 164
not trying to be rude zac at all but i think at the end of your statement you meant "breaking in their subs" not "burning in their sub".

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 165
i understand what ou mean by burning in a sub but i thnk anon was asking about spl wise not sq

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 166
and zac the comment on asking RE did their sub needs to be broken in was for Anon

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 167
and if you did mean "burning in their subs" you explaned in detail and said it yourself that when you burn in a sub, you gain sq.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
oops, lol, your right, i meant "break" haha. thanks:-)
hey basslova, check this out.....

zacdavis~
Silver Member

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 02:29 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any cable's conductors consist of many groups of atoms, clustered in crystals or atom clusters. The borders between these crystals or clusters are critical zones where electron movements are hindered when the condition of these boundaries is getting worse. This worsening takes place e.g. when your loudspeaker cable is moved every day and/or chemical activity is around - latter amplified by higher humidity levels, elevated temperatures and air pollution. Also imperfections in the cable insulation can trigger conductivity changes.
Burning-in is the effect that, despite any affected crystal borders, the sound quality improves again thanks to electron movement through conducting zones like so-called electron tunnels. But... when you move a cable again, those tunnels are "broken" and you then have to start again by playing your music.
You may wonder why (especially) on Sunday evening the music sounds so good again, this after a week with plenty of sound problems. Your cables finally are burned-in. But as soon as the killing Hoover (vacuum cleaning) hour on Monday morning comes and the over-active cleaning lady messes about with your cables, the problem returns: your cables are "burned-out" again, remaining that way until the following Sunday...

that is a quote, there is similar affects on all equipment that pass energy, incuding woofers, it gets much more detailed than that quote, i dont have time to search for it nor can i explain it in detail because if i'm not 100% certain of how somethin works, i'd rather not be the one to explain it.
when Dan comes over next time i'll ask him about some of his "burn in albums", he's really into this stuff, he has an all analog stereo system that will blow you away, the depth and warmth is more than just good re-representation of good recordings. being a purist, a studio engineer, and english teacher, he'll be put this topic into words that we all will be able to appreciate.
the last time i saw him was before i went to world finals and he gave me this little container, it is SilClear. it is a contact enhancer that contain tiny silver platelets that are suspended in an organic oil like substance. at any rate this enhancer is rubbed sparingly to the contact points of interconnects and it fills in the "swiss cheese holes" (gaps) with the silver and apparently improving sound quality by a surprising amount.
i explained to him that i run spl set up and it prolly would only make minimal if any difference. but he insisted so i did, i think i gained .1db not bad, i cant wait to use it in my home system.
any who...
l8r max

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2958
"Breaking in" is mainly for SQ purposes. Out of the box, a speaker (or subs) suspension is stiffer and will need to loosen over time. Manufacturers recommend break in periods, not really so much to avoid damaging the driver, but for sound quality purposes. Some of the highest end speakers in the world sound like a$$ out of the box because the suspension is so stiff, but once they loosen up they have fantastic sound quality. The buyers of car audio equipment tend to be demanding and impatient, so tf the manufacturer didn't say "once the speakers are broken in for 20 hours, SQ will improve", then the customer might just think they're crappy speakers and take them back. Obviously, the manufacturer doesn't want that to happen, they want to make money. So, giving the customer the hope that the speakers will open up after 40 hours means that you sell more speakers, and less are returned. If your speakers sounded crappy out of the box, you'd want to take them back too. It's smart business. If you notice, people that break in (REALLY break in) subs, such as the companies themselves, magazines, reviewers, push the subs to near full excursion right out of the box, in a free air environment. Zac is right on the standpoint of reliability. 99% of "break in" issues are because of other things, not the driver itself. You're installing an amp, wires, etc. So loose wire connections, bumped gain controls, potential shorts and faults cause the most problems, and it is blamed on the sub because the sub was the thing that got destroyed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
i wish i could put my thoughts into words as well as you do jonathan, i always enjoy reading your posts, you have a knack for explaining things in a professional manner that is easy to read.:-)

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 168
well zac looks like i just got compuserved. lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2963

smacker
Unregistered guest
Are SPL brand subs any good, I bought a 12" 1100 watt rms sub just for fun because I already have a Rockford Fosgate power bd1000 amp, and just want to know if it will sound good. Also, does it matter if the opening of the ports in a box come out directly under the driver, or do I need to build a baffle or something to create more resonance inside the box?

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 101
thanks every 1 for clearing that up.By the way, I had my sub playing pretty loud almost all day today and it sounded fantastic.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us