Mosef?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 135
im not sure if thats how its spelled but theres a brand similiar to that spelling and i wanna know if there any good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
I found out there MOSFET.

Bronze Member
Username: Zepp

Post Number: 27
mosfets are the amps found in stereos and such (head units, shelf systems, etc)

Username: Fatryan

Post Number: 7
ha ha ha. MOSFET is the "new" technology used in todays audio amplification (and by "new" i mean old but still advertised as new). its not the brand. but if you happen to find an amp that doesnt use MOSFET technology, stay far far away from it...

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
no I know about the whole tech crap but I did find an amp brand named MOSFET, they had a 200 watt and a 400 watt model at the store.

Post Number: 10
then theyre junk. if you cant even find a brand name, they must be junk

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2942
MOSFET=Metal Oxide Semiconducter Field Effect Transistor.

"but if you happen to find an amp that doesnt use MOSFET technology, stay far far away from it..."

MOSFETs aren't the best design out there as far as audio transistors, but it's does excel as a switching device for the power supply. An amplifer uses a transformer to raise voltage to a higher level for more power, and since transformers work on the principle of inductance, they require alternating current. The car uses 12V direct current, meaning you need to convert DC to AC before entering the transformer. This is the MOSFETs job, it pulsates current at a set frequency (much higher than audible range, usually around 50k), and then send that power to the transformer, and the output of the transformer is AC output and results in higher voltage on the lines. As far as the actual audio amplification signal, the MOSFET isn't the best choice, it's only benefit is that it is rugged. It is extremely non-linear, resulting in a poorer frequency response and higher distortion. Any high end transistor amplifier you see will use bipolar transistors for output devices, they perform much better overall. Of course, there are also tube amps, which are a horse of a different color, but still very good.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7230
quoted from:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/amplifiers.html

Bipolar or MOSFET?: We have seen both MOSFET (Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistor) and Bipolar transistors used in audio amplifiers. Claims have been made that each is superior. I have seen claims that MOSFETs have a tube ("Valve" for the Brits) sound. This is more folklore. The musicians and their instruments are supposed to have "the sound", not audio equipment! MOSFETs are tougher than Bipolars, and can pull closer to the supply rail. It takes more Bipolar transistors to achieve the same power as a MOSFET, therefore Bipolar amps tend to be more expensive. But, MOSFETs are very non-linear, compared to Bipolars and require much more feedback to achieve reasonable distortion numbers. They are a great choice for bass amps, as low frequency audio is not difficult for a MOSFET. The most expensive car and home amplifiers almost always use Bipolar transistors.

MOSFET isn't always "better." Be sure ya know what you're saying when it comes to amplifier design. Anyway I'm sure some company has taken the name MOSFET as a product line or brand name now.. It sounds vaguely familiar.. a lot like legacy and the like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
actually come to think of it, i think GlassWolf is right. now im remembering some company that actually uses MOSFET as a name...eh. either way, its probably junk

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 157
yeh and there amps look alot like a sony amp. i could've swore when i saw it,it was a sony amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
oh god! please stay far away from that crap. the only thing worse than sony car audio is knock-off sony car audio
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us