A good 1600 watt amp around $150

Username: Pioneerdvc

Post Number: 1
i have a good 800watt sub, (pioneer TS-305DVC) and a kinda good amp...a 600 watt legacy. i kno that legacy isnt a real good brand, but its doin its job so far n i'v had it for about 6 months. i just got two more of the 800 watt pioneers, and i need a good amp. any suggestion. i kinda have a budget of around $150

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7210
there are no good amps that put out 1600 watts RMS for even twice what you're willing to spend.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7212
what is the model # of that legacy amp by the way.
I want to look up how much power it actually puts out.
not it's peak rating.

Post Number: 2
LA480 is the model #...and i dont want 1600 watt RMS, i want 1600 watt peak. just to power the other 2 subs ad then run the single sub off the legacy still. i was lookin at a 1600 watt volfenhag, and every one i ask about volfenhag says hat they are a good company. should i go that route?

Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 7
You should match RMS ratings not peak power ratings... is this what you have?

Legacy Blue Diamond Series #LA480 2-Channel 600 Watt Amp
* 2 x 40 Watts RMS @4 Ohms
* 2 x 60 Watts RMS @2 Ohms
* 2 x 300 Watts Max Output
* 1 x 600 Watts Bridge Mode

GlassWolf, I think he needs some help. I also have friends that also try to match peak ratings, thats why I am trying to learn more myself.

Post Number: 3
yeah thats waht i have. any suggestions for a new amp to power the 2 800 watt pioneers? (400 RMS)

Post Number: 4
yeah thats what i have. what amp should i get to power the 2 800 watt pioneers? (400 watt RMS)

USA

Post Number: 8
I guess you can take a look at a few MTX's and Kickers... someone with more knowledge and experience might guide you for an exact purchase.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2932
Being Dual 4 ohm subwoofers, the only good amp you'll get for that price is a JBL 600.1, which would push those subs well. It's underrated, it typically puts out around 700 watts RMS with 14.4V. Those Pioneer subs will work well with 300+ to each sub.

USA

Post Number: 9
Doing some research on that amp, I found one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5741951671 %26%26

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 362
One thing to keep in mind guys is to never pay attention to the peak wattage. They get that number in a way you will never really duplicate in a car, especially your cheap brands like legasy. Thats why we say to look at your RMS rating. RMS is basically how much power you CAN EXPECT from your amp at full output. So if your speakers have an RMS rating of 300 watts you want to get an amp with close to the same rms rating.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 995
In a perfect world, 300W amp will give you 300W to your 300W sub. However, since lot of the amps come with bass boost/crossovers, if you set the controls to max, you will get much more than 300W from the amp. So be careful with those controls.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 376
You will also get a dc voltage instead of an ac voltage which will light up your voice coil like a roman candle.

Oh yeah, I am not responcible for anyone that decides to try try this at home.

Something else I forgot to mention is that you don't always need 300 watts to get a 300 watt rms speaker to max excursion. So I normally go a little smaller than my speakers rms rating.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us