Subs for Sound Quality

Username: Rad

Post Number: 2
Hey all.
I have to tell you its been a long time since ive been in the hobby. Alot has changed since my college days of installing IASCA winning systems. With that said, my wife bought me an AVIC-n1 for xmas. And like any good audiophile i cant let it go to waste. :-) Back in the day when i was installing there were a few names that always came to the top. Hi-Fonics, Kicker, Infinity, Polk, Alpine, etc.
When researching my sub choices i see a lot of new names out there. When it comes to sound quality over SPL is Kicker still a good name? are there better choices?
To be honest i could track down the specs of each and run it through my enclosure program but it would take me a long time to narrow down my choices. So if you guys could fire off some suggestions and help me speed that up, id appreciate it.

Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 6
Kicker is ok, but it just depend's on the type of sub in any brand. Alpine type R's are good, Alpine type X, most of Jl audio subs are grate, and Eclipse, that is a short list of the best brand's.

Bronze Member
Username: Zepp

Post Number: 15
adire shivas have some of the best sq around

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 131
and idmax subs are the best in sq IMO. THe v2's as well as the v3's. THe RE X.X.X are also great. THe brahma, shiva, alipne type R and X ,eclipse ti,eclipse aluminum,infinity subs are great in sq. But the solobarics are more spl over sq, but the cvr's are nice in da sq department. there are a few more i know i missed.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 729
...this list could go on for miles of opinions....

Post Number: 3
I agree it could. But i appreciate the responses. So far the Shiva's look best on paper.
Who makes the RE series subs?

Anonymous

RE = Resonant Engineering

www.reaudio.com

Anonymous

If you have some $$$ and want great SQ. I'd look at the Eclipse Ti, the JL 12W6v2, or the RE SX. Obviously there are many choices, but those three would top my list.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2923
The Image Dynamics IDQs and ID Maxes are widely accepted by competitors as excellent SQ subwoofers. Shivas are great, the JL Audio, Eclipse, Resonant Engineering, and Adire Brahma subs are excellent SQ drivers as well. Dynaudio makes a great subwoofer in the MW190, it's not a high SPL driver though. Being an installer, you know a lot of the choice comes down to your personal preference on output, which enclosure you like the most, and the rest of the system you plan to run. For example, if you're running 2 ways you'll want a subwoofer that offers great midbass transition, etc. I prefer an Aperiodic alignment for optimum SQ personally, and that works best with a Qts of .35 or less optimally.

Post Number: 4
Wow Jonathan, i had no idea i was this far off in trends and technology. Can you point me to some good links on Aperiodic enclosures? I hate to admit it, but 4th order BP was the newest enclosure type we had when i stopped installing.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2928
Aperiodic has been used for a little while now, though not as widely used. It was developed a while back because subwoofers in the past had higher resonance peaks, now a lot of subs are improving in that category so it isn't as widely used, but still offers a ton of benefits. Here are two links that'll describe an Aperiodic membrane and how to make one:
http://www.maximacar.com/aperiodic.htm
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=18
What you are effectively doing is flattening the resonance peak of the driver by mechanically damping it, you create a "critically damped" system. It also improves the transient response of the woofer, and is extremely accurate because of this. You save a ton of trunk space because there is no box to build, you only need the woofer and the membrane(if you're doing a front loaded type). Aperiodic membranes work well and take up little space in package trays, plus you can show off the basket of the sub if you like that kinda stuff. The only real downside of AP is that it is less efficient than sealed because you flatten the resonance peak, but if you're a SQ nut, you'd be EQing out that peak anyway, so in the end AP would only be a little less efficient.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2931
Forgot to mention, the rear wave of the sub HAS to be totally separated from the front, so AP works best in trunks. It also works in doors etc., and you could build a fiberglass enclosure IF you vent the rear output to the outside of the vehicle.

Post Number: 5
Well I like the concept, but unfortunately i have an SUV and im not willing to open the back to the outside world. So sealed box it is. Thank you all for the loads of info. Its much appreciated, and didnt fall on deaf ears. (pardon the pun)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us