Someone help..new to car audio and need somw answers please.

Rob315
Unregistered guest
hi i have been reading posts here for a few weeks now trying to get information on the alpine type r sub's. i have read quite a few posts but none that are deffinite answers(to me anyways)i have read a few posts on here from people in the same perdicament as me but i couldnt quite understand what you were getting to.so if this has already been answered, my bad but i just need a few definite answers so i can hopefully understand. I have 2 alpine r type 12's (1241)and the mrd-m501. i read another post where they said that they were incompatible unless i had 2 of those amps and ran one mrd-m501 to each subwoofer. now i know this is overpowering them by double there rms but is it safe do you think? will it be to much for them and just blow them as soon as i use it? will i need a new alternator with 2 mrd-m501's? sorry if im asking a question you really dont feel like answering again but i just cant seem to get the just of the whole car audio thing, but i love stereos and i want one pretty bad. what else will i need besides subs,amp, and a deck?
and if anyone has a nice alpine deck that they are trying to sell let me know.(doesnt have to be alpine though).thanks guys and ill be checking back for your answers.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7053
"I have 2 alpine r type 12's (1241)and the mrd-m501. i read another post where they said that they were incompatible unless i had 2 of those amps and ran one mrd-m501 to each subwoofer. now i know this is overpowering them by double there rms but is it safe do you think?"

now this entirely depends on the subs you get.
the type R comes in two versions. essentially a 2 ohm and a 4 ohm model. if you have two of the 4 ohm subs, you can run both off of a single 501 amp just fine, even though they'll be a bit underpowered, so its not ideal.

can you put 500 watts to each sub? sure. just be careful and listen and pay attention to any signs of trouble like distortion or the subs bottoming out. It will also depend on the box type you choose since box specs and type affect power handling quite a bit.

"will i need a new alternator with 2 mrd-m501's?"

no way to tell. try them and see if voltage rails sag or lights dim. then you'll know.

if you want to learn all of the baiscs, try reading the following website top to bottom till you understand all of it:
www.bcae1.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us