Has anyone built a ported box that ports into a sealed box

s1v1as14
Unregistered guest
I'm considering building a normal ported box with the port in the rear and and going into a sealed box . so if anyone a)already done this. b)think it's a crazy idea. or c) think I should go ahead. I would like your opinion.

Anonymous

thats a bad idea, waste of space, if there is one port going to a sealed box, then its still just a sealed box, your just moving the air space threw the port to the area of the " sealed box" and if you have 2 ports, one going to a sealed box, and one out to the open, its just a ported box. If your going that much trouble, make a bandpass box.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

Post Number: 115
whats the point, then it would be one big sealed box, you forgot option D, a big waste of time, and ill have to go with it D.

s1v1as14
Unregistered guest
Thanks I can't believe I didn't figure that out myself I rightfully feel like an idiot now. Thank you for your comments though.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7056
hehe

also keep in mind that a normal ported box acts as if the sub and port are firing into a sealed box anyway.. the cabin of the car acts as a 'sealed box' with a contained amount of air volume.
that's why when people roll down their windows in the car sometimes the bass gets louder. It's effectively altering the sealed box volume of the subs.

there are sealed enclosures that fire the sub into a ported enclosure, with the port being exposed to cabin aur.
that's called a 4th order bandpass box.

there are also enclosures with the sub in the middle, and ports in front and behind the sub in separate chambers. that's a 6th order box.

there are even 6th order enclosures that have front and rear ports firing into a third, ported chamber.
that's 8th order.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 697
....lets get crazy and make a 12th order bandpass....

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 315
glass. what would a 6th or 8th order bandbass box sound like if done correctly.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7076
they sound like two cats screwing, to be honest.
absolutely terrible.
their only purpose is ultra-high efficiency for high SPL events.
they are huge enclosures but have very high output, usually right around the resonant frequency of the car's cabin, which is about 70Hz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us