Class T amplifiers??????

rocking rolling
Unregistered guest
heard of class a,b,d now class t ? is it better than class d?
http://www.maaudio.com/productcatalog.cfm?class=622

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 964
Don't get fooled by the marketing ad. Class T is nothing special. It's suppose to use less power than Class D, but personally, I prefer class AB, then D. When I compared class T with class AB, the AB had much more thump in the sound. Of course it also wasted more power.
Go with Class D, if not AB. T is overrated. It only sounds good on paper.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7028
class T or 'tri-path" is very similar to class D with the exception that it can operate as a full range amplifier instead of just for subs.
here:

Class T
Class T (Tripath) is similar to class D with these exceptions: This class does not use analog feed back like its class D cousin. The feedback is digital and is taken ahead of the output filter, avoiding the phase shift of this filter. Because class D or T amplifier distortion arises from timing errors, the class T amplifier feeds back timing information. The other distinction is that this amplifier uses a digital signal processor to convert the analog input to a PWM signal and process the feedback information. The processor looks at the feedback information and makes timing adjustments. Because the feedback loop does not include the output filter, the class T amplifier is inherently more stable and can operate over the full audio band. Most listeners can not hear the difference between class T and good class AB designs. Both class D and T designs share one problem: they consume extra power at idle. Because the high frequency waveform is present at all times, even when there is no audio present, the amplifiers generate some residual heat. Some of these amplifiers actually turn off in the absence of music, and can be annoying if there is too much delay turning back on.

there are also class G and H amps, which are other variations the classes you know, but not often used.

Silver Member

Post Number: 971
I bought the Class T amp based on above information before. I wasn't impressed at all. Yes the amp does run warm at idle, however, it is very picky when it comes to working with another amp design, for example Class AB. The AB seem to pick up noise from class T. Almost like pulsing kind. I fixed the problem by opening up the class T amp and re-working the ground. It didn't solve the the problem 100% but every close, you could hardly hear the interference.
The power numbers were also deceptive. On paper the class T said 500W rms. I tested it against 380W rms AB amp. They both had very close spec along with crossover values. The AB performed better. I was able to hear a difference when it came to bass sound. Class T's bass was weaker compared to AB.
That was my test result. I used same CD, song, speakers to be fair.
So yes on paper, class T sounds the best.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7032
I was just explaining what class T is.
I don't personally like them either.
Probably why my cars all use class AB amps throughout. Even for subs.
they suck current, but they perform better in my opinion.
I guess price is a factor too though. price per watt is much higher for class AB as you get into larger amplifiers as well, which is why many people like the class D and T topologies.
I can find a 1000 watt class D amp for $150.
a 1000 watt class AB amp you're talking ten times that price for most good ones.

Silver Member

Post Number: 974
I agree, that is why I also selected class AB amps to power the speakers in my car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us