Noob that needs help

Username: Xmachx

Post Number: 1
hi guyz, first time poster. first of all i would like to say im a noob at this kind of stuff so go easy.

ok i have a '99 ranger reg cab and looking to add some thump to my ride. since i do have a reg cab truck i believe i have to get 2 10's.

i guess my question is i would like to hear recommendations on which sub/amp combo would be decent for not to much dough.

*im also a little rough around the edges when it comes to installation, so if anyone could give me a generic walkthrew of the process i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance guyz/galz
My Website

Bronze Member
Username: Killer44

Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
reg cab....? like how much room u got in the back???(behing seat....there is only 2 front seat no back ones rite>>>?)

Post Number: 2
yes i have room for 2 10's i have a box allready picked out that will fit.

you have any suggestions or any installation help?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 114
what is the CU/ft of airapace in each chamber in the box?

Post Number: 3
this website has the exact one im getting, shows all the dimensions and airspace.

http://www.subbox.net/store/catalog/Custom-Ford-Ranger-Regular-Cab-Subwoofer-Enc losure-1999-2003-p-60.html

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 116
OK so when you are looking for subs you are gonna need a sub that requires around .60 cubic ft and has a mounting depth of less than 5.25in. There are a few good subs you can look at for this application. I would look into jl audio 10w3's they are a lowQ sub. I am sure other people will be able to throw a few more at ya. I also know that Image Dynamics makes a good sub arount those specs for a cheap price. just look at the air space needed for each sub you hear or look at and find one that matches up.
James

Post Number: 4
ok thanks for the reply, what about a amp to go with the jl's?

and the wiring configuration? as i said im not to knowledgeable on the wiring aspect.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 117
well they come in dual 2ohm,4ohm,and 6ohm so you have chioces. I would recomend a jl 500/1 to run them both but that might be a little on the more $$$$ side. there are many options as far as amps. Kicker,MTX,JBL..... they all have good mono amps that would power those subs very nicely. look for around 500 RMS to power both mono.
James

Post Number: 5
ok so a mono amp will power both?(noob question) cus i thought i had to get a 2-chan(cus of 2 subs,1 sub per channel). and the mono amps, could you explain when u have time how to wire the amp/sub?

i was also lookin at those subs u suggested and jl offers a step down model is JL Audio 10W0-4(they seem lower RMS power rating and are cheaper...) whats your thoughts on this model?

u seem like u kno what ur talkin about, so whenever u have time id like to hear more from ya.

Post Number: 6
can anyone else help me out????

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 119
hey I am sorry for recomending a sub tghat wont even fit in your box! I was just looking T THE DATA SHEETS FOR THE JL SUBS AND NEITHER ONE WILL FIT WITH THE MOUNTING DEPTH THAT YOU NEED. Well to answer your question anyways about the difference between the W0's and the W3v2's is the power handling and Xmax amongs other things. The W0 is their baseline sub so you wont get that SQ out of it or SPL that you would of a W#. Also they are cheaper so you tend to drop in sound quality and SPL when you drop in price. I would look into like Image dynamics and MTX, and maybe Rockford Fosgate. Just remember to look at the mounting depth id cant be more than 5.25 in that box which isnt very much for a 10 so it is gonna be tough finding a good sub for that box. Well when you find your sub and it comes time for wiring it up here ya go http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcsp
I hope this all helps and best of luck to ya and give us another yell if ya need anything else!
James

Post Number: 7
ok thx alot james i appreciate the input. ill keep you in touch on my ventures.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 122
cool man ! good luck.
James

Post Number: 8
ok, ive been searching around the internet a bunch the past couple of days, and with the input of james i have come to this combo of amp/sub tell me what ya think and any suggestions.

Sub(only thing i did not see is the mounting depth)
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID10V3D2

Amp
http://www.cardomain.com/item/BOSC1200

Sub Box
http://www.subbox.net/store/catalog/Custom-Ford-Ranger-Regular-Cab-Subwoofer-Enc losure-1999-2003-p-60.html

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 129
ok those subs look good I have heard good things about them and they require the right amount of air-space. The only thing is you really need to know the mounting depth I would hate to see you buy them and have the magnet hit the back of the box. I would also steer away from BOSS audio for your amp there are many other companies that are around the same price with much! better stuff. look at MTX,or Kicker,JBL, all on ebay can be had brand new for good prices.
James

Post Number: 9
i cant seem to find the mounting depth for those particular subs.... so u say that the amp is no good?? ill look around for another that u suggested.

would 600x1 rms at 2 ohms be sufficent for those subs so i kno what to look for?

Post Number: 10
*note* i just found the mounting depth and its 5.5" and my box is going to be 5.25"... isnt that something..

check this one out and tell me what ya think..(this one also doesnt say mounting depth..

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOZR10D2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
*another note* i just found out that i can up the depth 3/4" which would make it 6" mounting depth.

the only thing im concerned about is the space i will have to drive....

any suggestions or comments?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ok, been searching alot and found 1 match for the enclosure i have to work with check this out and tell me what yall think.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BAZRSW1022DVC

its cheap and the setup is going to be fairly easy with what i have in mind for a amp.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 132
if you can up the death 3/4in go wit the JL 10w3v2's with a jl 500/1 you will not be unhappy about it I promise. Those IDQ's shold be goos also but I would save the money and go with the w3v2's and a jl500/1 but if you cant afford that amp go with a kicker 600.1 or a JBL 600 or so. That is my opinion cause stereo stuff is adictive and you will always want to go better than what you got trust me! you will like that set-up. check ebay and steer away from sounddomain! I am not saying anything bad about sounddomain but you can find better deals on ebay if thats what you are looking for.
James

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
what you think of this sub?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/BAZRSW1022DVC

the only problem i have with the extra 3/4" is that i dont want to push the limit on the space i will have for legroom. im allready pushing it with what it is stock.

and these sub requirements for depth are perfect.

whatcha think?

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 312
im not a fan of bazooka subs. ill look for some for you.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 313
MTX 4500 series. Kicker Comp VR. both of those would be better than the bazooka. you wont find any high end subs that can fit into that small of a space. i have heard both the 4500 and the comp vr. i think i would choose the kicker. also depends on what amp you are going to buy. i think the kicker would require more power. they are both decent subs better than the bazooka.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
ok thx alot man, i will research those 2 models and get back to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ok peeps, i think i found a keeper!!!
check out these bad boys. perfect depth(5"), perfect airspace, only prob is they need alot of juice... check this out for me guyz and tell me what ya think.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNAW101T

cjh
Unregistered guest
dont get those subs. Audiobahn is absolute $hit.

cjh
Unregistered guest

cjh
Unregistered guest

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
ok... what you think bout them james?? or anyone else that doesnt seem mentally disabled...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2915
That one really is a crappy sub. Audiobahn isn't the greatest to begin with, but that one is their lowest end one and just plain out sucks. The Image Dynamics IDQ is an excellent small box sound quality sub, and not as power hungry. It is designed for small sealed boxes and offers great bandwidth (drops very low and has excellent SQ and performance), and is perfect for the enclosure you plan to run, I'd recommend getting the extra depth. It's 5.25" deep. The Infinity Perfect 10.1 is also a great match for that enclosure and is an excellent SQ subwoofer. Can't remember how deep it is, you'll have to check on that. Both are better subs than that Audiobahn.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
ok thx man, james also said that the idq was really good. im accually trying to find a new box with a deeper mounting depth.

ill keep yall posted.

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 136
yeah man I would have to agree with Jonathan on this one! The IDQ's are great subs many people love them. I would stay away form audiobahn but the Infinity's are great subs as well just like jonathan said look at the mounting depth. Once you find a sub that you want dont just go out and buy any old amp the process is gonna be the same as you have gone through to find the right sub. Just let us know what you are looking at and we would be glad to help you out.
James

Ohh yeah if you are on a tight budget start looking on ebay the deals are much better than sounddomain! just my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
james thx again for all your help, i acually found a better box, check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14945%26item%3D5740672812

its alot cheaper and it has a 6" mounting depth.
so ima look around again at those JL's and the Image dynamics subs. if you had to choose which ones would you get.(im on a budget also, so keep that in mind.)

Silver Member

Ct

Post Number: 139
they are both gonna be great subs for you but again I would not look at the JLw0's they are not a really reliable sub and they wont last you as long at high volumes as the better line which is the W3v2's. I have heard that IDQ's are great subs and are high SPL subs and get extremely deep like below 18hz. I think you will be happy with either sub though in my opinion. Just power them right and you should be happy.
James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us