How long do i have b4 my alternator goes out

Username: Sleazybig_slim

Austin, TX Usa

Post Number: 1
i'm a newbie and i just recently purchased my first subs. their two 12inch subs connected to a 2 channel soundstream amp that only puts out 120 watts RMS to each sub. at night my lights dim, and the tach meter constantly moves up and down when i'm at a stop sighn or red light.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 950
Whoa, you shouldn't be ignoring those signs. There is no time limit on alternator's life. I can go any minute. Most modern cars should be able to handle 240W amp with stock alternator.
If you like your car, I would seriously consider getting an alternator upgrade. A 1F cap might help with the light dimming but will NOT replace alternator. It could also be a sign of weak battery. How old is it anyways? You might want to get yellow top from Walmart.

A.C.
Unregistered guest
samuel sutton i fell sorry for you. if you could be so kind has to inform me of what type of car you had, i've always thought that on average a car could handle up to like 2000W or something, anyways thats strang that your alternater is doing that like isaac said i believe your ALTERNATOR is about to DIE.

Austin, TX Usa

Post Number: 2
i have a 2000 mazda 626 4 banger. i'm not sure how many amps the alternator is. when i turn the volume down theirs no light diming or anything. the diming isn't all that noticable, but it is to me. i'm thinking of upgrading to a 200 amp alternator, do you think that will be too much?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 962
When's the last time a guy admitted he had too much power? It's never enough :-)
If you can get 200A to fit in your car, do it. What's different about alternator is that, it will not supply 200A to a device unless it requires it. So you can't over current and blow.

Austin, TX Usa

Post Number: 3
thnks for the feedback
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us