Please Please Please, I am desperate. Currently sitting in car trying to figure out problem!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Trojanmanms

Post Number: 13
I just installed my amp and sub by myself. I just started everything up, and the sub is just playing high frequencies. I have a kenwood KAC - 7201. Max output is 800W. I have a polk audio momo sub. 12 in. RMS is 500W max is 1000W. The amp puts out 480W RMS bridged at 4 ohms. all i get out of the sub is shitty crackling when i try to play bass, and quiet treble. PLEASE HELP ME!!! whats wrong!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
update. Now i have kinda gotten rid of the crackling. it only does it at semi high volumes now. I switched the RCA cables in the amp. Now, i just dont hear the bass i was expecting. Its REALLY REALLY weak......in every aspect. Any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
scratch that update. I am still fucked. Nothing has changed from the first post

Silver Member
Username: Djzavala

Whittier, Ca USA

Post Number: 110
dude, that amp cant pick up that sub, you need a bigger amp, and a good name brand one, get a JL 600.1, that should do it...

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 304
try checking to see if your wires are inverted somewhere. if not check to see if that amp has a crossover and set it to low pass.

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 83
sounds to me like you have a blown sub my friend!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
can anyone tell me exactly what a blown sub sounds like?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
can anyone tell me exactly what a blown sub sounds like?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
ok, so obviously i have it wrong. When you have a 500W rms sub, do i need an amp with over 500W RMS or what!!

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 276
Yes, or close to it. That amp's 2ohm stereo stable. you have to bridge it at 4ohms to get the most out of it, which will be about 230W. Probably overrated as well, so no more than 200W. Probably not enough to push that sub. Also, set the crossover to low pass. If the sub is SVC and has sound, it is NOT blown, may be damaged though. If it's DVC and one coil is fried, it'll still have sound. If you've done everything we said and the amp isn't bad and you don't have it wired wrong, then it may be the sub, although I do doubt it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6971
1: make sure you're using subwoofer pre-outs from the head unit to that amp if the head unit has them.
2: set the amp to LPF (LOW pass filter) and set XO point on the amp to around 60-80Hz.

one or both of those are most likely your problem.

3: may want to check polarity on the subs, too. if one is out of phase you'll get similar results. ESPECIALLY if they share air space in the box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
i have the crossover set to lowpass, and i cut it off at every imaginable frequency. Also, i am using a hi/low converter for my stock receiver. To tap into the signal, i spliced the rear stereo wires. At the moment, all the speakers still work. The sub is SVC, and i do get sound. I tried switching all the cables around and messing with all the dials. Another thing. When i set the amp to "mono", i get nothing out of the sub. When i set it to stereo, i get the results posted above. Shouldnt it work on mono?
As for the amp, in the specs it says that it will give 480W @ 4ohms RMS. whats up with that? do you know something that i dont?!
Thanks a bunch for your help guys, i am kinda freaking out....i bought this sub used, but not on ebay (no insurance)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i was reading the manual that came with the amp and it says "the rated power of the speaker should be no less than the max power of the amp." is that true?! does that mean i need a 400 Max power speaker for a 500 RMS sub? no freaking way.....

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 280
that's right, no freaking way. Is there another sub you can try that you know works for sure?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
nope. but thats the least of my worries. any answers to the rest of my questions? why stereo works, and mono doesnt. I am almost positive that i have the amp bridged right. And how about what oleg ni said earlier about my amp only having 200W? how does that work, my friend? Thanks for the help. is there any way to have a quick chat with you on aim (oleg ni)? my current sn is singerboy14. IM me if thats possible. thanks.

Bronze Member

Ct

Post Number: 87
I had a soundstream ss12 sub and it blew and the only sound that came out of it was highs! You my friend most likely have a blown sub! if you did everything that was said and it is still the same it is blown!
James

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6991
"Also, i am using a hi/low converter for my stock receiver."

the LOC you're using may not be the right one for that deck and amp combo. I hate LOCs personally. you should consider replacing the head unit if you want to add amplifiers.

setting the stereo amp to "mono" probably puts it into bridged mode, where one channel is inverted. not a bright idea to enable bridged mode if the amp is wired to teh subs for stereo operation.

" was reading the manual that came with the amp and it says "the rated power of the speaker should be no less than the max power of the amp." is that true?!"

the RMS power handling of the speaker should be no less than the RMS power rating of the amplifier.
ignore max power ratings.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
as much as it pains me to say this. my sub is busted. i went to best buy and just brought it into the store and hooked it straight up to their amps. the kenwood amp that i had was driving 2 300W subs when i came into the store. when i hooked mine up (500W), all i got was the same static that i had gotten in my car.

-Pissed Off

Bronze Member

Ct

Post Number: 90
yeah man didnt want to be the bearer of bad news but it happens bro just try top find something else and Boom on!
James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us