Cant decide, sealed or ported

zepp
Unregistered guest
I have an se re15 on the way, and im putting the finishing touches on my box (so i can start building next week). Problem is, I cant decide if I want ported or sealed. I know sealed provides a more defined bass, but the trade off is it wont be as loud. The two boxes I have are a 2.2 cu.ft sealed box and a 3.7 cu.ft ported box tuned to 30hz.

Now, I am looking for a mainly SQ based system, but at the same time, I'd at least like to turn some heads when I'm rolling down the street :-)

The only thing thats really keeping my from building a ported box is the loss of the lower tones, but I'm afraid my sealed box won't be loud enough.

Ideas? Thanks.

zepp
Unregistered guest
i meant re se15 :-)

taylor17
Unregistered guest
I would go with sealed box. With ported, you only gane around 3 db's. 3 db's isn't going to make the difference in turning people's heads.:-) Besides you said you like sq, and sealed is the best for that. Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6885
actually transient response is generally worse for a sealed box due to the damping of the enclosure.
ported will be louder, and it'll hit harder around the tuned frequency which for that sub I'd tune at ~28Hz.

sealed is more 'accurate' because ports tend to add coloration to the audio due to the harmonics produced by the enclosure itself, and the spike output at the tuned port frequency (which you want with a ported box anyway) doesn't yield a "flat" response.

now, if you want a lot of deep bass, go with the ported box. I happen to like their sound when built right and tuned low.
If youw ant a box that's "accurate" in that it isn't bass heavy, and it gives a flat, natural sort of response, go with a sealed box. sealed tends to appeal more to people who listen to classical or jazz, where accentuated bass isn't desired because it makes the music sound unnatural, when they are after a more realistic feel to the music, wanting to mimmic the original environment of the club or concert hall.

ported boxes are great for synthesized music and stuff with hard driving basslines.
people get it in their heads that ported is 'inferior' because it has a different response curve to a sealed box, which isn't really true. It's more a matter of matching the box you use to the music you like and how you like it to sound.

taylor17
Unregistered guest
So if you like rock, rap, and even a little contry.:-) Then a ported box wouldn't be the box for me! If I understand this right, it is becus in the different types of music the base in one may be at 60 to 75 hz and in a nother it might be 30 to 35. Hope I got that right! lol

taylor17
Unregistered guest
What is transient responses? I have herd that term but never had understood what it mean's! Thank's for the help!

zepp
Unregistered guest
ok, i listen to mostly rock and electronica, so ill go with ported, tuned around 28-30

thanks!

Username: Jcgoal33

Post Number: 3
wut about bandpass is a ported box better for two 12 inch subs and a person that listens to rock and rap? or should i stick with the bandpass i have?

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 182
hell no! go with the ported, the bandpass will be loud, but will sound like chewbacas mating call. t5he ported will sound better for both rap and rock. if not ported go with sealed, no bandpass.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6928
a ported box would be fine for you.

transient response is basically how fast the speaker can react.

yeah bandpass boxes don't hit very deeply.
as the name implies, their frequency response is limited to a relatively narrow band with steep roll off above or below that band.
their only real pro is that they are very efficient, and thus very loud

Bronze Member
Username: Udai

Post Number: 58
Glass are you familiar with the RE SE line? I read somewhere that the SX doesnt perform well in sealed enclosures.. i know its not the same woofer but how do you think the SE would perform well in a sealed box. Im looking about getting 1 12 SE instead of the 2 11.kv2s (both would be sealed), but i wana make sure the SE will sound good.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6953
get the TS specs for the SE sub.
use this formula:

Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP)
EBP = Fs / Qes
50 or less = best used in a sealed enclosure.
50 - 90 = flexible enclosure options.
90 or greater = best used in ported enclosure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
51.22 .. sealed would be ok then. RE recommended 1cu ft.. would .88 work ok or not?

Username: Zepp

Post Number: 3
wait, the re se15 ives me an EBP of 40, should I put it in a sealed enclosure then? Also, does the sealed increase the power efficiency? If so, I just may want to go with the sealed (i'm sure itll get plenty loud).

input please!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6966
sealed is about 3dB less efficient than ported.
the SE15 would be best suited to a sealed box.

/88 will work for the sub if 1.0 is recommended, but you'd really be best off using one cu foot net volume, after sub displacement.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Well all the prebuilt boxes ive found so far use either .88 or 1.25
Then comes the problem with finding a wedge enclosure close to spec.
Sigh :\

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 684
built it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
No access to the tools. Even if i had it i wouldnt know how to build the damn thing (going for a wedge enclosure), im not sure how mounting depth + all that crap works on wedge enclosures.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6988
1.25 is fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 70
SEALED SEALED ACOUSTIC SUSPENSION or SEALED!

man do i hate sloppy one note distorted to heck ported bass!

acoustic suspension is much less distorted and with the air acting as a spring, quicker too.

i'm a big fan of 8" acoustic suspension for tightest bass.

isobarik (a.k.a. push-pull) is even cleaner, but requires 2X the power. two woffers wired out of phase and facing each other need less internal volume, can thump even faster and cancel some of each other's distortion. downside... it looks ugly and is power hungry.

ported speakers are just for winning SPL drag races or impressing others with how much air you can move.

my low internal volume 12" sealed home woofer is still too much for my tastes. i wanted an 8", but couldn't get a box.

that's my fiercely opinionated 2 cents.

weigh YOUR priorities:
extension and volume = ported
speed and clarity = sealed

jimbo911
Unregistered guest
well put budget minded....id like to ask you a few questions since you have answered his question in a way that i finally understand!..if you wouldnt mind just leaving your email here so i dont hijack this man's thread that would be awesome....thanks a bunch

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7017
a sealed box is slower than a ported box actually.
the acoustic suspension of the air in teh box acts as resistance to the driver movement, making transient response worse for sealed enclosures compared to vented.

vented does however, as you mentioned, add some coloration and harmonics to the sound reproduction, and an efficiency spike of about +3dB at teh tuned frequency, but a vented enclosure will yield more volume for a given amount of power, and many people like the sound of a well-tuned ported box.
a badly made ported box is like a badly made bandpass box though. both are usually tuned too high and sound very boomy and poor for anything but some rap music.

an isobaric enclosure is more efficient due to two speakers (motors) working to move the same mass of air. their linearity is improved due to the speakers being coupled, but that isn't anything a human can detect to be honest. I could fire the subs 90 degrees off axis and you couldn't tell the difference.
there is no real advantage to using an isobaric box other than stuffing more subs into the same air space in reality since you use more power to achieve the same output and response curve as a straight sealed box.

"ported speakers are just for winning SPL drag races or impressing others with how much air you can move."
nope. that'd be a bandpass box.
a ported box is a way to get a similar result to a sealed box, but with considerably less power by increasing efficiency.
if the box is tuned low, close to the Fs of the sub itself, then it'll hit very hard, very low, and by the time the sub rolls off it's already hit the subsonic filter point, and is below human hearing range.

what a sealed box does give you is a flat response. this is considered "accurate" because it's close to what it should sound like unaltered, with no coloration, or what you'd hear from the real performance. That means if you like bass-heavy music, sealed isn't really your best bet since a flat response to the human ear sounds very weak at low frequencies, being that the human ear is far less sensitive to that range.
If you want a very well controlled sub, that's accurate, flat, and detailed, look into an aperiodic enclosure.

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 31
Glass, where is the best place for information on how to build the correct ported box. I want to build the box so as not to cause sloppy bass as mentioned earlier like in a bandpass box. I have never built a ported box before and am having trouble finding how-to box building. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Dont you have to build those ? ;\
How would a sealed enclosure (built to spec.. 1cu ft recommended by re) sound compared to 1.25cu ft. I seriously want to try building my own enclosure..but if not im pretty much stuck with a q logic box or something

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
I found this while browsing..Paul:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/
and this site was pretty helpful too:
http://www.bcae1.com/ (click on the number 110. on the right panel)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7043
both good links
I have them in my bookmarks.. have for ages.
www.teamrocs.com has good FAQs and guides too
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us