Will it hurt my amp to run one sub?

Unregistered guest
Hey, i was just wondering if i could run one sub off of my amp which is a 2 channel bridgeable MOSFET amp, untill i can afford another sub?, will it do any dmg to my amp??

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 64
depends on the impedence of your voice coils on your sub. Are they single or Dual VC's? @ohm coils or 4ohms coils? also if dual 4ohm is your amp stable at 2 ohms? if dual 2 ohms you should be all set just run at 4 ohms series/parellel. need more info man.
James

Pharoh
Unregistered guest
Well here are some spec's on the SUBS that i wanna run, Rockford Fosgate P110S4 Punch 10" Car Subwoofer - Impedance 4 Ohms, now i can get a good deal on that and a nice box for cheap at the moment, so im going to buy it, but i want to know if i can just run one sub off of one - + channel and leave ther other - + leads open untill i can afford the other sub. Try not to get to technical :P

Username: Sparkey2027

Barnstaple, England England

Post Number: 5
when you bridge a 2 channel amp it usually gives out a 4 ohm load. if your amp gives out a 2 ohm load however and the sub is 4 ohms you could blow the sub up. what is the spec on your amp

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 289
"if your amp gives out a 2 ohm load however and the sub is 4 ohms you could blow the sub up"

The ohm rating doesn't change with just the amp.
The only thing that can change the ohm rating of your stereo is the sub, or subs themselfs. If you have a 4ohm single voice coil sub, you will only be able to run it at 4 ohms.

Pharoh, you should be fine. My only sugestion it to bridge the amp so you can take use of both sides of amplification. It should say on the amp how to hook it up bridged. If you have any questions on how to hook it up. Write back and tell us the make and model of the amp, and someone should be able to help.

Pharoh
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys, my Amp Is a Pyle 1200w 2 channel bridgeable MOSFET amp, i think im going to bridge it because it sounds liek the better thing to do, i just want to know how and if its hard of not, cause i dont wanna get all technicla and then a week later take take it apart to put in my new sub, thnks

Pharoh
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys, my Amp Is a Pyle 1200w 2 channel bridgeable MOSFET amp, i think im going to bridge it because it sounds liek the better thing to do, i just want to know how and if its hard of not, cause i dont wanna get all technicla and then a week later take take it apart to put in my new sub, thnks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6848
yeah if the sub is a single coil 4 ohm sub, just bridge the amp.
best results that way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us